Conceptual Problem with Friction FBD.

In summary, in this scenario, there are two blocks of equal mass, A and B, on an endless surface with no friction between them. The coefficient of friction between A and B is u, and the limiting friction between them is umg, or f. If a force equal to f is applied to block A, the FBDs for both A and B show that f = 0 = F, which is contradictory to the fact that f = umg. It is suggested that there is no friction existing between A and B, but this contradicts the fact that B moves with A when a force is applied and that without friction, A would slide past B and B would fall to the ground. This suggests that the limiting friction
Sarin
here is the scenario:

there are 2 blocks A & B, both have the same mass 'm'.
block A is kept on an endless surface.
there is no friction between the block A and the surface.
now the other block, B, is kept on top of the block A.
the coeff of friction between A & B is say 'u'.
the limiting friction between A & B is therefore = umg = 'f'.
now say i apply a force 'F', equal to 'f', on the block A, i.e F = f.

What will be the FBD's for A and B.

I did the FBD for B & A and i am getting f = 0 = F , which is not possible since f = umg.
So I think i have made some mistake.

And I am not saying that A and B are necessarily stationary initially, they could be moving with a uniform velocity.

Is this suggesting that since there is no relative motion between A & B therefore there is no friction existing. If this is the case then isn't this contradicting the fact that B moves with A
(with a relative velocity = 0) due to friction when a force is applied to A and that if friction was not present A would just slide past underneath B and B would just fall to the ground.
kindly help me out with this!

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sarin said:
the limiting friction between A & B is therefore = um = 'f'.
now say i apply a force 'F', equal to 'f', on the block A, i.e F = f.
Realize that the limiting friction is not necessarily equal to the actual friction force.

If you push A with a force equal to μmg, then the friction acting between the masses will be only half that.

Doc Al said:
Realize that the limiting friction is not necessarily equal to the actual friction force.

If you push A with a force equal to μmg, then the friction acting between the masses will be only half that.

not sure i understand what you're saying.

Sarin said:
not sure i understand what you're saying.
Try this: Assume that you push block A with a force equal to μmg. What will be the acceleration of the two-block system? Use that to figure out the friction force.

I would like to clarify some concepts regarding friction and its effects in this scenario. First, it is important to note that friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. In this case, the friction force between block A and the surface is zero because there is no contact between them. However, when block B is placed on top of block A, there is a contact surface between them and therefore the friction force can exist.

Now, let's consider the FBD for block A and B. For block A, the only forces acting on it are its weight (mg) and the applied force (F). Since there is no friction between block A and the surface, the net force on block A is equal to F-mg. This means that block A will accelerate in the direction of the applied force.

For block B, the forces acting on it are its weight (mg) and the friction force (f) between block A and B. The friction force will be in the opposite direction to the applied force (F) on block A. Therefore, the net force on block B is equal to mg-f. This means that block B will also accelerate in the direction of the applied force, but at a slower rate than block A due to the opposing friction force.

Now, let's consider the case where the applied force (F) is equal to the limiting friction force (f). In this case, the net force on block A will be zero (F-mg=0), meaning that block A will not accelerate. However, the net force on block B will be mg-f, which is also equal to zero. This does not mean that the friction force is zero, it means that the friction force is balanced by the weight of block B. Therefore, block B will not slide off block A, but it will also not accelerate.

In summary, the FBD for block A and B are correct. The fact that the friction force is equal to the applied force does not mean that the net force on block B is zero, it means that it is balanced by the weight of block B. This does not contradict the fact that block B moves with block A due to friction, as the net force on block B is still non-zero (mg-f). Friction is present and is necessary for block B to move with block A, even though the net force on block B is zero in this particular scenario. I hope this helps to clarify

Related to Conceptual Problem with Friction FBD.

1. What is a conceptual problem with friction FBD?

A conceptual problem with friction FBD (free body diagram) is the difficulty in accurately representing the direction and magnitude of frictional forces on an object. This is due to the fact that friction is not a single force, but rather a combination of multiple forces acting in different directions.

2. How does friction affect the motion of an object?

Friction acts in the opposite direction to an object's motion, causing it to slow down or come to a stop. It also affects the object's ability to start moving or change direction.

3. Can friction be ignored in a FBD?

No, friction cannot be ignored in a FBD. While it may be tempting to simplify the diagram by omitting friction, it is an important force that must be accounted for in order to accurately analyze the motion of an object.

4. How do you determine the direction of friction in a FBD?

The direction of friction can be determined by considering the direction of the object's motion and the surface it is moving on. Friction acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, and its direction can also be affected by the angle of the surface.

5. How can you reduce the effects of friction in a FBD?

To reduce the effects of friction in a FBD, you can use lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a smoother surface between the two objects in contact. You can also reduce the force of friction by decreasing the weight of the object or by using materials with lower coefficients of friction.