Conceptual fluid mechanics question

In summary, a tube with a narrowing cross-sectional area attached to a tank with a constant flow rate can be analyzed using Bernoulli's equation to calculate the pressure drop. However, when the fluid is viscous, energy is lost and the pressure drop is even greater. This contradicts an old exam question and the reasoning provided by the solution guide. A physicist on a forum points out the error and provides a simpler example to show that the pressure must decrease more in a viscous fluid. A resource on Bernoulli's equation is also provided for further understanding.
jdstokes
Suppose we have a tube whose cross-sectional area narrows from [itex]A_1[/itex] to [itex]A_2[/itex]. We attach this to a tank which supplies fluid a constant flow rate [itex]Q[/itex]. Assuming the fluid is nonviscous, we can apply Bernoulli's equation to the narrow and wide ends to calculate the pressure drop [itex]\Delta p = p_1 - p_2[/itex].

[itex]p_1 + \frac{1}{2}\rho v_1^2 = p_2 + \frac{1}{2}\rho v_2^2[/itex]
[itex]\Delta p = \frac{1}{2}\rho(v_2^2 - v_1^2)[/itex].

where v_1 and v_2 can be determined using the continuity equation.

Now assume that the fluid is viscous. Could you please point out any holes in the following reasoning?

1. By the continuity equation, the fluid speeds in the wide and narrow sections of the tube are the same as in the nonviscous case: ie [itex]v_1[/itex] and [itex]v_2[/itex] respectively.

2. Since the fluid is viscous, energy is lost from the fluid as it moves. To keep track of the lost energy, I will write

[itex]p_1 + \frac{1}{2}\rho v_1^2 = p_2 + \frac{1}{2}\rho v_2^2 + [\textrm{viscous head}][/itex]

[itex]\Delta p = \frac{1}{2}\rho(v_2^2 - v_1^2) + [\textrm{viscous head}][/itex]

which means that the pressure drop is even larger when viscosity is included. This contradicts the answer to an old exam question I attempted recently. See

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=99620

Thanks in advance.

James

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump.

Sorry I'm desperate (exam tomorrow).

Thanks.

James

Well, I'll take a shot at this. I don't understand the reasoning on the solution guide. They seem to suggest that the speed [tex] v_2 [/tex] will be less than it would be in a frictionless situation, but the whole point of the pump is that it provides a constant flow rate. The continuity equation clearly tells you that [tex] v_2 [/tex] is same as in the case with no viscosity. The pump simply has to work harder to keep that same flow rate going (just like you have to suck more on your straw to drink a milkshake at the same rate that you can drink water through a straw). If this argument is correct then I don't see how the pressure drop couldn't be greater in the viscous situation.

I hate to contradict another physicist, but I don't see anyway around it. Maybe it's just late and I'm missing something simple.

Your reasoning is equivalent to mine, I think they must have gotten it wrong.

By the way, if you have a chance, could you please take a look at my other thread on Lenz's Law? Thanks a million!

James.

Yes, I feel confident now that you have it right. I thought of a simpler example that shows the pressure has to decrease more. Consider a uniform horizontal pipe (one that does not contract) and place regular vertical tubes to measure the pressure. If the fluid wasn't viscous then the head in each tube would remain at the same height, but a viscous fluid will lose head even though the speed of the fluid is the same along the pipe (again a consequence of continuity) because the pressure is dropping. So the pressure drops more than it did in the non-viscous case.

Edit: Here is a resource I just found that you might find useful http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/tech/fluids/bernoul.htm

Last edited:

Related to Conceptual fluid mechanics question

1. What is conceptual fluid mechanics?

Conceptual fluid mechanics is the study of the behavior and properties of fluids, such as liquids and gases, in motion. It involves understanding fundamental concepts and principles, as well as applying mathematical equations and models to analyze fluid flow.

2. What are some real-world applications of conceptual fluid mechanics?

Conceptual fluid mechanics is used in various industries and fields, such as aerospace engineering, civil engineering, environmental science, and meteorology. It is applied in designing aircraft and spacecraft, predicting weather patterns, designing water distribution systems, and understanding ocean currents.

3. How does viscosity affect fluid flow?

Viscosity refers to a fluid's resistance to flow. The higher the viscosity, the more resistance a fluid has to flow. This means that a fluid with high viscosity will flow slower than a fluid with low viscosity. In general, fluids with higher viscosity tend to flow more smoothly and evenly, while low viscosity fluids are more prone to turbulence.

4. What is Bernoulli's principle and how is it related to fluid mechanics?

Bernoulli's principle states that the total energy of a fluid in motion remains constant. This means that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases, and vice versa. This principle is important in understanding the behavior of fluids in motion, such as in the design of airplane wings and the flow of water through pipes.

5. How do you calculate the flow rate of a fluid?

The flow rate of a fluid is calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the pipe or channel through which the fluid is flowing by the velocity of the fluid. This is known as the continuity equation and is expressed as Q = A * v, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area, and v is the velocity of the fluid.