Conservation of Momentum Fluids Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving Bernoulli's equation and mass/momentum conservation, where a force balance is needed to find the total momentum of the inflow in the x direction. The equation for conservation of momentum is corrected and the conversation also discusses a simpler way to do the integral for P1.
Chestermiller said:
I get $$P_1=P_2+\frac{\rho}{2}\left(\frac{Q}{\pi R^2}\right)^2$$
Oh my gosh, can't believe I didn't write that! It was late and I was sleepy. Yes, of course! So we substitute that into the mass balance for ##Q## and we're set, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
Oh my gosh, can't believe I didn't write that! It was late and I was sleepy. Yes, of course! So we substitute that into the mass balance for ##Q## and we're set, right?
You mean you substitute that into the momentum balance, not the mass balance. Hopefully, that will lead to a result which matches the given answer.

Chestermiller said:
You mean you substitute that into the momentum balance, not the mass balance. Hopefully, that will lead to a result which matches the given answer.
Yeeeeees, this is what I meant! Hahahaha evidently I'm still tired. Thanks a ton!