Concepts behind particle accelerators

In summary, there are two conflicting ideas about linear particle accelerators. One source states that a long tube and high voltage power supply is all that is needed, while another source mentions the use of "drift tubes" and an RF antenna source coupled to the power supply. It is necessary to use these methods for both linacs and cyclotrons. It may be easier to study linacs first, and it is not possible to simply use a wall circuit or AC current for a cyclotron. A waveform generator may be able to work, but both types of accelerators require high frequencies for efficient acceleration.
Thundagere
I'm wondering about linear particle accelerators. THey're something I've been researching for a while, and I found two conflicting ideas. On one source, it states that all you essentially need is a long tube and a high voltage power supply. So, if I had a voltage multiplier and assigned the positive end to one end of the tube, and the negative end from where my electron source is (let's say I'm accelerating electrons), then all I would need is a vacuum chamber and the electrons would accelerate.
Another source, however, states that you need "drift tubes" and need to apply something like an RF antenna source coupled to your high voltage power source to constantly change the charge on each individual drift tube. I was originally under the impression that one only needed to do this for a cyclotron. Is it necessary to do so for a linac as well?
And on two other notes:
a) Is it better for me to study Linacs first, or cyclotrons? I'm thinking Linac would be much easier to study, but...
b) IF I had a cyclotron, could I simply hook it up to alternate current, or a wall circuit (besides the fact it's dangerous :) ), and let the back and forth flow handle the changing? Or could I get a waveform generator and somehow connect it to my high voltage source, then connect it to the Ds? Would that work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not an expert, as you will understand from my post:

I probably depends on how much energy you want. You can accelerate charged particles in a very simple way like old-fashioned vacuum tubes and cathode-ray TVs. But the most common method for high energy particles is explained here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_accelerator

I expect linear accelerators would be easier to study. Both involve special relativity, but I think that at least for particles with spin the cyclotron is a bit more nontrivial. I'm guessing Thomas-precession would be relevant in that case.

You need much higher frequencies than your wall voltage. The period must be of the same order as the time it takes the particles to pass through the ring, or through each section of a linear accelerator. This usually means very high frequencies if the particle is to be accelerated up close to the speed of light...

Thundagere said:
I'm wondering about linear particle accelerators. THey're something I've been researching for a while, and I found two conflicting ideas. On one source, it states that all you essentially need is a long tube and a high voltage power supply. So, if I had a voltage multiplier and assigned the positive end to one end of the tube, and the negative end from where my electron source is (let's say I'm accelerating electrons), then all I would need is a vacuum chamber and the electrons would accelerate.
Another source, however, states that you need "drift tubes" and need to apply something like an RF antenna source coupled to your high voltage power source to constantly change the charge on each individual drift tube. I was originally under the impression that one only needed to do this for a cyclotron. Is it necessary to do so for a linac as well?
And on two other notes:
a) Is it better for me to study Linacs first, or cyclotrons? I'm thinking Linac would be much easier to study, but...
b) IF I had a cyclotron, could I simply hook it up to alternate current, or a wall circuit (besides the fact it's dangerous :) ), and let the back and forth flow handle the changing? Or could I get a waveform generator and somehow connect it to my high voltage source, then connect it to the Ds? Would that work?

There are DC acceleration, and there are RF acceleration. DC acceleration uses electrostatic E-field to accelerate charged particles, while RF acceleration uses RF fields. The latter tends to have structures that can achieve higher acceleration/speeds. DC fields are limited to the breakdown limit (among other things) of the structure.

Stan Humphries has an online text on almost everything you need to know to introduce yourself to the principles of particle acceleration.

http://www.cientificosaficionados.com/libros/aceleradores1.pdf

Zz.

Related to Concepts behind particle accelerators

1. What is a particle accelerator?

A particle accelerator is a scientific instrument that uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate charged particles to high speeds and energies, ultimately colliding them with other particles. These collisions allow scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.

2. How do particle accelerators work?

Particle accelerators work by using electric fields to accelerate charged particles, such as protons or electrons, to high speeds. These particles are then directed through a series of magnets, which focus and steer them towards a target. When the particles collide with the target or with each other, they release energy that can be measured and studied.

3. What is the purpose of particle accelerators?

Particle accelerators have a variety of purposes in scientific research. They can be used to study the fundamental properties of matter, such as the structure of atoms and the behavior of subatomic particles. They are also used in medical imaging and therapy, as well as in industrial applications such as materials testing and radiation processing.

4. How are particles accelerated in a particle accelerator?

Particles are accelerated in a particle accelerator through the use of electromagnetic fields. These fields are created by accelerating structures, such as radio frequency cavities, which produce alternating electric fields that push the particles forward. The particles then gain energy as they pass through these fields, increasing their speed and ultimately reaching high energies.

5. What is the largest particle accelerator in the world?

The largest particle accelerator in the world is the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN in Switzerland. It is a 27-kilometer circular tunnel located underground and is used to accelerate protons and other particles to nearly the speed of light. The LHC is used to study high-energy physics and has made groundbreaking discoveries, such as the Higgs boson particle.