Concept of Invertible Matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses the consistency of the equation Ax = b for a square matrix A and a vector b in R^n. It is stated that if A is invertible, then the equation will always be consistent, and this is proven through algebraic manipulation. However, if A is not invertible, there may not exist a solution or there may be an infinite number of solutions.
war485

Homework Statement

If A is an invertible square matrix, then Ax = b is consistent for each b in R^n

2. The attempt at a solution

If A multiplied by A inverse is identity, then it would always be consistent. So I thought , if A is just randomly multiplied by some x, then it will still be consistent right? I can't seem to find anything wrong with the statement above.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Ax = b holds true regardless of A being invertible or not

cse63146 said:

Ax=b is not exactly 'true' if there no solutions x to the equation given a b. If A is invertible then A^(-1)Ax=Ix=x=A^(-1)b. So given any b, x=A^(-1)b. Yes, it's consistent.

cse63146 said:

I have no idea what you mean by this. What is "Ax= b" that it could "hold true"? Certainly if A is a matrix and x a vector with as many components as A has columns, then there exist a vector b such that Ax= b. Is that what you meant?

If A is invertible, then given any such vector b, there exist a vector x such that Ax= b.

If A is not invertible then, given b, there may not exist such an x or there may exist an infinite number of the them.

Thanks for the help guys. That little algebra helped me see it properly Dick.

Related to Concept of Invertible Matrices

1. What is an invertible matrix?

An invertible matrix is a square matrix that has a unique inverse, meaning that it can be multiplied by another matrix to produce the identity matrix. In other words, an invertible matrix is one that can be "undone" by another matrix operation.

2. How do you determine if a matrix is invertible?

A matrix is invertible if its determinant is non-zero. This means that the matrix has a unique solution and can be "undone" by another matrix operation. In practice, this can be determined by performing row operations on the matrix and checking if the result is the identity matrix.

3. What is the importance of invertible matrices?

Invertible matrices are important in various fields of mathematics and science, including linear algebra, differential equations, and physics. They are used to solve systems of equations, find inverses of linear transformations, and represent physical systems.

4. Can a non-square matrix be invertible?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be invertible. Invertibility is only defined for square matrices, which have the same number of rows and columns. Non-square matrices do not have a unique solution and cannot be "undone" by another matrix operation.

5. How do you find the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix can be found by using the Gauss-Jordan elimination method or by using matrix operations. This involves performing row operations on the matrix until it is transformed into the identity matrix, and then applying the same operations to the identity matrix to obtain the inverse. There are also online calculators and software programs that can calculate the inverse of a matrix.