How Do Hadamard Matrices Relate to Identity Matrices?

• Thread starter Sebastian Martinez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary: If ##H = H_{K-1}## and ##J = H_K##, then J = \pmatrix{H&H\\H&-H} Now, it is a important fact that you can multiply partitioned matrices almost as though they had numerical elements instead of matrices as entries---provided that all "dimensions" are consistent with multliplication of the individual partition members. That is, if A = \pmatrix{A_{11}& A_{12}\\A_{21}& A_{22}}, \; B = \pmatrix{B_{11}&B_{12}\\B_{21}&B_{22
Sebastian Martinez

Homework Statement

Hadamard matrices H0, H1, H2, . . . are defined as follows:
(a) H_0 is the 1 × 1 matrix [1].
(b) For k > 0, H_k is the 2^k × 2^k matrix.
\\Attached is the matrix

(a) Show by induction that (H_k) ^2 = 2^k* I_k, where I_k is the identity matrix of dimension 2^k .
(b) Note that Hadamard matrices are symmetric, i.e. H_k = Transpose(H_k) . Thus by the above, H_k*Transpose(H_ k) = 2^k* I_k as well. Use this fact for deriving a formula for the dot product between the i-th and j-th row of H_k, for 1 ≤ i, j ≤ 2^k .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already did part a. Just multiply two matrices of entries H_k as it's described in the file and then apply the inductive step to multiply two entries. At the end you get a coefficient of 2^k and the identity matrix on the upper-left and lower-right corner and zero matrices on the remaining places.

B) My problem is in part B. I already know by definition that the dot product of two rows in a hadamard matrix is zero. I don't know how to derive the requested formula using the given hints. Suggestions?

All I have is that the product between row i and rowj = dot product of column i and column j

Half an hour later...

Hence row i= column i because the matrices are symmetric, we can look for dot products when compute H_k * transpose(H_k)
I think that the dot product(row i and row j)= ((H_k)^2)_i,j, so it would be 2^k*I_i,j

Attachments

• Screenshot (23).png
    Screenshot (23).png
    16.5 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sebastian Martinez said:

Homework Statement

\\Attached is the matrix

(a) Show by induction that (H_k) ^2 = 2^k* I_k, where I_k is the identity matrix of dimension 2^k .
(b) Note that Hadamard matrices are symmetric, i.e. H_k = Transpose(H_k) . Thus by the above, H_k*Transpose(H_ k) = 2^k* I_k as well. Use this fact for deriving a formula for the dot product between the i-th and j-th row of H_k, for 1 ≤ i, j ≤ 2^k .

Homework Equations

I already did part a. Just multiply two matrices of entries H_k as it's described in the file and then apply the inductive step to multiply two entries. At the end you get a coefficient of 2^k and the identity matrix on the upper-left and lower-right corner and zero matrices on the remaining places.

All I have so far is that the dot product between row i and row j is equal to the product between column i and column j

B) My problem is in part B. I already know by definition that the dot product of two rows in a hadamard matrix is zero. I don't know how to derive the requested formula using the given hints. Suggestions?

Sebastian Martinez said:

Homework Statement

\\Attached is the matrix

Homework Equations

All I have is that the product between row i and rowj = dot product of column i and column j

Half an hour later...

Hence row i= column i because the matrices are symmetric, we can look for dot products when compute H_k * transpose(H_k)
I think that the dot product(row i and row j)= ((H_k)^2)_i,j, so it would be 2^k*I_i,j

If ##H = H_{K-1}## and ##J = H_K##, then
[tex] J = \pmatrix{H&H\\H&-H} [/tex]
Now, it is a important fact that you can multiply partitioned matrices almost as though they had numerical elements instead of matrices as entries---provided that all "dimensions" are consistent with multliplication of the individual partition members. That is, if
[tex] A = \pmatrix{A_{11}& A_{12}\\A_{21}& A_{22}}, \; B = \pmatrix{B_{11}&B_{12}\\B_{21}&B_{22}}, [/tex]
are partitioned matrices with appropriate dimensions for the partitions, then
[tex] A B = \pmatrix{A_{11}B_{11} + A_{12}B_{21} & A_{11}B_{12} + A_{12}B_{22} \\
A_{21} B_{11} + A_{22} B_{21} & A_{21} B_{12}+A_{22}B_{22}} [/tex]
provided that all the matrix products above are defined, as they would be for correctly-dimensioned partitions. Note that the formula for ##AB## is exactly the same as for the product of ##2 \times 2## matrices with numbers in place of the matrices ##A_{ij}, B_{ij}##.

You can apply that to get ##J^2## in terms of ##H^2##.

The result about multiplication of partitioned matrices is well-known and appears in many textbooks and web pages. Proving it from first principles is not very difficult.

Related to How Do Hadamard Matrices Relate to Identity Matrices?

What is a Hadamard matrix?

A Hadamard matrix is a square matrix with entries of +1 and -1, where each row and column is orthogonal to every other row and column. This means that the dot product of any two distinct rows or columns is 0.

How are Hadamard matrices used in science?

Hadamard matrices are used in various fields of science, such as signal processing, coding theory, and quantum computing. They are particularly useful in designing experiments and algorithms that require orthogonal measurements and optimal signal detection.

What is the Hadamard conjecture?

The Hadamard conjecture, also known as the Hadamard matrix problem, asks whether a Hadamard matrix of order n exists for every positive integer n. This problem remains unsolved for all n > 2.

What is the significance of the Hadamard conjecture?

The Hadamard conjecture has implications in many areas of mathematics, including number theory, combinatorics, and group theory. It also has practical applications in telecommunications, coding theory, and experimental design.

What progress has been made on the Hadamard conjecture?

Some progress has been made on the Hadamard conjecture, with several special cases being proven and bounds being established. However, the general conjecture remains open and is considered one of the most famous unsolved problems in mathematics.