Concept behind mass renormalization

In summary: The idea of mass renormalization in quantum field theory is often confusing. In summary, there is no analogous picture in mass renormalization as there is in charge renormalization. Instead, the corrections to the propagator from higher order Feynman diagrams are calculated and included in the mass and field. This results in a cutoff-dependent renormalized mass. However, the physical mass of a particle, referred to as the pole mass, remains constant regardless of the energy scale. In renormalized perturbation theory, the Lagrangian is split into renormalized parameters and counterterms, which are determined by chosen renormalization conditions. The renormalized parameters are used in perturbation theory and the counterterms are fixed order by order
clerk
I am confused about the idea of mass renormalization in quantum field theory. Firstly, in case of charge renormalization there is a picture where you have a swarm of particle antiparticle pairs round the electron and hence depending on the energy of your probe , the charge gets renormalized .But somehow there is no such analogous picture in the mass renormalization. The way in which this is introduced in the texts that I have seen is that they calculate the corrections to the propagator coming from higher order feynman diagrams and include the cutoff dependent quantities that you get in the process inside the mass and field ..hence the renormalized mass becomes cutoff dependent . Does this imply that in a different scale, we will record a different mass ?? Another doubt is the distinction between bare and physical perturbation theory...in physical perturbation theory , we sort of perturb around the lagrangian with renormalized masses and coupling constants by including counterterms..but we don't know the renormalized masses accurately since we can only calculate the propagator corrections only to first few orders at best...also the counterterms sort of soak up the cutoff dependence of the mass, then how come it still remains a renormalized mass (dependent on cutoff)? I am really confused about this whole business.

Physics news on Phys.org
The physical mass of a particle that we measure (referred to as pole mass, since it is the pole of the exact propagator) doesn't depend on the energy scale we perform our experiment. It is a single number which is an intrinsic property of a particle.
In renormalized perturbation theory, we split our lagrangain into a lagrangian with the same form but renormalized parameters and counterterms. The values of these renormalized parameters are set by renormalization conditions which can be chosen.
The distinction is in perturbation theory. Instead of expanding the observables we wish to calculate into a power series in the bare parameters we do it in the renormalized parameters.
The renormalized parameters are usually more closely related to physical quantities and the renormalization condition (i.e., mostly energy scale) may be chosen so perturbation theory works better.

Hope that helps

Thanks a lot.. that was really very helpful. So even though I cannot get the exact propagator , I can get a rough estimate of the renormalized mass to any degree of accuracy by increasing the order of feynman diagrams at a given energy scale in a renormalizable theory.Next I perturb around these refined quantities .. Have I got it right?
I am still confused about the coefficients of the counterterms ..how are they fixed?

The renormalized quantities is defined by some renormalization condition. The goal isn't to estimate them, they are parameters we use in perturbation theory. Renormalized perturbation theory is just a refined way of doing perturbation theory and calulating the same observable as before: cross section, energy shifts, etc...
The counterterms are fixed order by order, using the renormalization conditions.

Related to Concept behind mass renormalization

What is the concept behind mass renormalization?

The concept behind mass renormalization is a fundamental principle in quantum field theory, which is used to account for the divergent behavior of certain quantities, such as particle mass, in calculations. It involves renormalizing or adjusting the values of these quantities in order to obtain finite and meaningful results.

Why is mass renormalization necessary in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, particles are described as excitations of underlying fields. These fields have infinite degrees of freedom, which lead to infinite and nonsensical values for certain quantities, such as mass. Mass renormalization is necessary to eliminate these infinities and obtain meaningful predictions from the theory.

How is mass renormalization performed in practice?

Mass renormalization is a mathematical process that involves subtracting infinite terms from the original calculation and replacing them with finite, renormalized terms. This is typically done through a series of calculations and approximations, using techniques such as perturbation theory and the renormalization group.

What are the implications of mass renormalization in particle physics?

The concept of mass renormalization has significant implications in particle physics, as it allows for the accurate prediction of physical phenomena at the subatomic level. It also provides a framework for understanding the behavior of particles and the fundamental forces that govern them.

Are there any challenges or controversies surrounding mass renormalization?

While mass renormalization is a widely accepted and successful concept in particle physics, there are still ongoing debates and challenges surrounding its use. Some argue that it is a mathematical trick with no physical meaning, while others raise concerns about the accuracy and reliability of renormalization techniques. These discussions continue to shape our understanding of the concept and its applications in physics.