Concentration: Titration and Gravimetric Calculations

In summary, the individual has conducted a titration experiment to find the concentration of copper in a copper sulphate solution using potassium iodide and sodium thiosulphate. They have then used gravimetric analysis, using zinc to displace the copper and calculate its concentration. The calculated concentration is 0.1324 mol dm^-3. They are seeking feedback on their calculations and methods.
coolnufc
I have been trying to find the concentration of copper in a copper sulphate solution and i was wondering if someone could check my calculations and maybe set me straight on a few things. Rep will be given of course.

Titration
I put 25cm^3 of copper sulphate solution into a conical flask, and added 15cm^3 of 10% potassium iodide solution to the conical flask. I then titrated this solution against sodium thiosulphate.

The average titre was 24cm^3

I have the equations for the addition of potassium iodide solution:
2Cu^2+ + 4I^- --> 2CuI + I2

And then the titration:
I2 + 2S2O3^2- --> S4O6^2- + 2I^-

Because I2 has the same moles in both equations, i worked out the concentration of S2O3, and then thought that would be the same as Cu2+ as they are in the same moles. But i think this is really wrong. So help would be appreciated. Anyway, this is what i did.

m=cxv
0.1 x (24/1000) = 0.0024moles.

c = m/v
conc. CuSO4 = 0.0024 / (25/1000) = 0.096moldm^-3

Gravimetric
I used zinc to displace the copper to create a solid copper precipitate.

Copper mass = 0.21g

Moles = 0.21 / 63.5 = 3.31 x 10^-3 moles

3.31 x 10^-3 moles in 25cm^3 of CuSO4
So in 1dm^3 --> (3.31 x 10^-3) x 40 = 0.1324 mol dm^-3

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the correct way to calculate the concentrations of copper sulphate? Any help would be appreciated.

Related to Concentration: Titration and Gravimetric Calculations

1. What is titration and how is it used in concentration calculations?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution by reacting it with another substance of known concentration. This is done by measuring the volume of the known substance needed to completely react with the unknown substance. The known substance is called the titrant and the unknown substance is called the analyte. Titration is commonly used in concentration calculations because it allows for a precise and accurate determination of the unknown concentration.

2. How is a titration experiment set up and carried out?

To set up a titration experiment, a burette filled with the titrant is attached to a stand and a known volume of the analyte is placed in a flask. The titrant is then slowly added to the analyte while constantly swirling the flask. When the reaction is complete, the endpoint is reached and the volume of titrant used is recorded. This process is repeated until consistent results are obtained.

3. What is the difference between acid-base titration and redox titration?

Acid-base titration involves the reaction between an acid and a base, where the endpoint is determined by a change in pH. Redox titration, on the other hand, involves the transfer of electrons between two species and the endpoint is determined by a change in color or potential. Acid-base titration is used to determine the concentration of acids or bases, while redox titration is used to determine the concentration of oxidizing or reducing agents.

4. What is the purpose of gravimetric analysis in concentration calculations?

Gravimetric analysis is a technique used to determine the quantity of a substance in a sample by measuring its mass. In concentration calculations, gravimetric analysis is used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution by measuring the mass of a precipitate formed from a reaction between the substance and a reagent. This method is often used as a confirmation of results obtained from titration.

5. What are some common sources of error in titration and gravimetric analysis?

Some common sources of error in titration and gravimetric analysis include human error in reading measurements, incomplete or inconsistent reactions, impure reagents or samples, and environmental factors such as temperature and humidity. It is important to take precautions to minimize these errors, such as properly calibrating equipment and using high quality reagents and samples.