Thiosulfate Standardization via Iodate Titration

In summary, the concentration of thiosulfate can be calculated by using the molarity equation and the given information about iodate and thiosulfate. However, the result may be slightly incorrect due to the assumption that 1g=1mL.
belyzel4

Homework Statement

How do I figure out the concentration of Thiosulfate in mol/L or g/L if I am only given the following:

0.00167M Iodate (IO3-)
10g of 0.00167M Iodate (IO3-) in Solution
0.71266g of Thiosulfate necessary to titrate
IO3- MW = 174.9027 g/mol
Thiosulfate MW = 248.18 g/mol

Homework Equations

Molarity = moles/L
IO3- + 8I- + 6H+ -----> 3I3- + 3H2O
I3- + 2S2O3 -----> 3I- + S4O6

The Attempt at a Solution

Using 1g~1mL
0.00167M IO3- * (0.01 L) * (3 mol I3 / 1 mol IO3) * (2 mol S2O3 / 1 mol I3) * (1 / 0.71266 mL) * (1000 mL / 1 L) = 0.1406M S2O32-

Physics news on Phys.org
With the assumption 1g=1mL your result is correct.

But: the density of 0.1406M sodium thiosulfate is not 1 g/mL, but 1.0163 g/mL. I am not convinced you are expected to use this number, but it definitely shows your final result is wrong by about 1.6%.

Related to Thiosulfate Standardization via Iodate Titration

1. What is the purpose of thiosulfate standardization via iodate titration?

The purpose of thiosulfate standardization via iodate titration is to determine the exact concentration of a thiosulfate solution. This is important because the concentration of thiosulfate can affect the accuracy of experiments and analyses that use this reagent.

2. How does thiosulfate standardization via iodate titration work?

In this method, a known amount of iodate solution is added to the thiosulfate solution, causing a reaction that produces iodine. The iodine is then titrated with a standardized solution of sodium thiosulfate until the reaction is complete. The amount of thiosulfate used in the titration is then used to calculate the concentration of the thiosulfate solution.

3. What are some factors that may affect the accuracy of thiosulfate standardization via iodate titration?

Some factors that may affect the accuracy of this method include incorrect measurement of reagents, impurities in the thiosulfate or iodate solutions, and variations in temperature or pH levels during the titration process. It is important to carefully control these variables to ensure accurate results.

4. What are the potential sources of error in thiosulfate standardization via iodate titration?

Sources of error in this method may include insufficient mixing of solutions, incomplete or slow reactions, and human error in reading burette volumes. It is important to carefully follow the procedure and repeat the titration multiple times to minimize potential errors.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when performing thiosulfate standardization via iodate titration?

Yes, it is important to handle all chemicals with caution and wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles. It is also important to properly dispose of any leftover solutions and clean up any spills immediately. Always follow the safety guidelines provided by your institution or laboratory when performing this method.