Concave Spherical Mirrors: Object Position for Inverted and Enlarged Image?

In summary: I understand how the signs can be confusing. In summary, when using the mirror equation in terms of focal length, it is important to make sure the signs are consistent with the conventions used for magnification. In this problem, using M=q/p instead of M=-q/p helped to correctly determine the object position for an inverted and enlarged image.
roam

Homework Statement

A concave spherical mirror has a radius of curvature of magnitude 27.1 cm. Determine the object position for which the resulting image is inverted and larger than the object by a factor of 4.00.

Homework Equations

Mirror equation in terms of focal length: 1/p + 1/q = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not getting the correct answer for this question. Here's what I've done so far:

First we find the focal length

[tex]f=\frac{R}{2} \implies \frac{27.1}{2}=13.55 \ cm[/tex]

[tex]M = \frac{-q}{p}=4 \implies q=-4p[/tex]

Substituting in

[tex]\frac{1}{p} - \frac{1}{4p} = \frac{1}{13.55}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{3}{4p} = \frac{1}{13.55} \implies p =10.162[/tex]

I don't know why the answer is wrong. I know that image is inverted when Magnification is negative. Here it is not -ve because the questions says "larger" so I took it as positive...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:

Homework Statement

A concave spherical mirror has a radius of curvature of magnitude 27.1 cm.

Homework Equations

Mirror equation in terms of focal length: 1/p + 1/q = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not getting the correct answer for this question. Here's what I've done so far:

First we find the focal length

[tex]f=\frac{R}{2} \implies \frac{27.1}{2}=13.55 \ cm[/tex]

[tex]M = \frac{-q}{p}=4 \implies q=-4p[/tex]

Substituting in

[tex]\frac{1}{p} - \frac{1}{4p} = \frac{1}{13.55}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{3}{4p} = \frac{1}{13.55} \implies p =10.162[/tex]

I don't know why the answer is wrong. I know that image is inverted when Magnification is negative. Here it is not -ve because the questions says "larger" so I took it as positive...

What are you trying to find? You haven't said.

PeterO said:
What are you trying to find? You haven't said.

Oops. The question I was trying to ask was:

Determine the object position for which the resulting image is inverted and larger than the object by a factor of 4.00.

roam said:
Oops. The question I was trying to ask was:

Determine the object position for which the resulting image is inverted and larger than the object by a factor of 4.00.

You are having trouble with the minus signs.

There are two conventions out there one says magnification is -p/q the other says it is p/q

one of them has 1/p + 1/q = 1/r , the other has 1/p - 1/q = 1/r

make everything positive, and work on a positive magnification meaning inverted.

PeterO said:
You are having trouble with the minus signs.

There are two conventions out there one says magnification is -p/q the other says it is p/q

one of them has 1/p + 1/q = 1/r , the other has 1/p - 1/q = 1/r

make everything positive, and work on a positive magnification meaning inverted.

So, are you saying I should have used M=q/p so that q=4p? Because I am using the +ve equation 1/p+1/q=1/f.

roam said:
So, are you saying I should have used M=p/q?

Try it and see.

YES! It worked. Thanks for clarifying this, I REALLY appreciate all your help.

Related to Concave Spherical Mirrors: Object Position for Inverted and Enlarged Image?

1. What is a concave spherical mirror?

A concave spherical mirror is a type of curved mirror that has a reflective surface on the inside of a sphere. It is typically used in optical devices, such as telescopes and microscopes, to reflect and focus light.

2. How does a concave spherical mirror work?

A concave spherical mirror works by reflecting light rays from an object onto a focal point. When the light rays hit the curved surface, they are reflected inwards towards the focal point, creating an inverted image of the object.

3. What is the focal point of a concave spherical mirror?

The focal point of a concave spherical mirror is the point where all the reflected light rays converge. It is located halfway between the center of curvature and the mirror's surface.

4. How is the image formed in a concave spherical mirror?

The image in a concave spherical mirror is formed when light rays from an object hit the mirror's surface and are reflected towards the focal point. The image appears to be inverted and smaller than the actual object.

5. What are the uses of concave spherical mirrors?

Concave spherical mirrors have various uses in different fields, including astronomy, microscopy, and photography. They are also used in car headlights, solar cookers, and satellite dishes.