How to Position an Object for a 2.5x Inverted Image with a Concave Mirror?

In summary: That seems to be the Cartesian sign convention which is the second most common sign convention as far as I know.
ichilouch

Homework Statement

Where do you put an object in front of a concave mirror of focal length 10cm to produce an image that is inverted and 2.5 times greater than the object?

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{1}{f}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{P}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{Q}[/itex]
Where:
Q=Image distance from mirror
P=Object's distance from mirror
f = Focal length

m=[itex]\frac{-Q}{P}[/itex]
m=Magnification

The Attempt at a Solution

m=-2.5
Q=-mP ------ (1)

[itex]\frac{1}{f}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{P}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{Q}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{f}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{P}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{-mP}[/itex]

P=[itex]\frac{f}{\frac{m}{m-1}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{0.1}{\frac{-2.5}{-2.5-1}}[/itex]
P=0.011 meter

Physics news on Phys.org
Focal length of a concave mirror is to be taken negative.

Adithyan said:
Focal length of a concave mirror is to be taken negative.

No it isn't. The most common sign convetion - the Gaussian sign convention - which is used by most elementary optic texts has concave mirrors with positive focal distance and convex mirrors with negative focal distance.

ichilouch said:
P=[itex]\frac{f}{\frac{m}{m-1}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{0.1}{\frac{-2.5}{-2.5-1}}[/itex]
P=0.011 meter

[itex]\frac{0.1}{\frac{-2.5}{-2.5-1}}[/itex] is not 0.11 m.

ehild

ehild said:
[itex]\frac{0.1}{\frac{-2.5}{-2.5-1}}[/itex] is not 0.11 m.

ehild

Sorry, Its 0.14m

That is correct.:smile:

ehild

Likes 1 person
dauto said:
No it isn't. The most common sign convetion - the Gaussian sign convention - which is used by most elementary optic texts has concave mirrors with positive focal distance and convex mirrors with negative focal distance.

Oh sorry! I didn't notice that the Poster took object distance as positive. Here in India, we have a different sign convention. According my textbooks, sign of the distance with respect to the pole of the mirror depends on whether the distance is parallel or antiparallel to the incident light ray. If the 'vector' from pole to focus is parallel to the light ray, it is taken positive and negative otherwise.

Adithyan said:
Oh sorry! I didn't notice that the Poster took object distance as positive. Here in India, we have a different sign convention. According my textbooks, sign of the distance with respect to the pole of the mirror depends on whether the distance is parallel or antiparallel to the incident light ray. If the 'vector' from pole to focus is parallel to the light ray, it is taken positive and negative otherwise.

First time a hear of this convention. Could you elaborate?

dauto said:
First time a hear of this convention. Could you elaborate?

I have posted an image of the sign convention.

Attachments

• lens-sign-convention-application.jpeg
    lens-sign-convention-application.jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 512
Adithyan said:
I have posted an image of the sign convention.

That seems to be the Cartesian sign convention which is the second most common sign convention as far as I know. I thought you were talking about some other convention.

Related to How to Position an Object for a 2.5x Inverted Image with a Concave Mirror?

1. What is a concave mirror?

A concave mirror is a reflective surface that curves inward, like the inside of a bowl. It is also known as a converging mirror because it reflects light rays towards a focal point.

2. How does a concave mirror work?

A concave mirror works by reflecting light rays that strike its surface, causing them to converge at a specific point called the focal point. This is due to the curved surface of the mirror, which causes the light rays to change direction and converge at the focal point.

3. What is the difference between a concave and convex mirror?

A concave mirror curves inward, while a convex mirror curves outward. This results in different properties when it comes to reflecting light. A concave mirror can produce real and inverted images, while a convex mirror produces virtual and upright images.

4. What are some practical applications of concave mirrors?

Concave mirrors have several practical applications in everyday life. They are used in telescopes, headlights, and makeup mirrors to focus light and produce clear images. They are also used in solar cookers and solar panels to concentrate sunlight for heating and energy production.

5. What is the center of curvature of a concave mirror?

The center of curvature of a concave mirror is the center of the sphere from which the mirror is cut. It is located at twice the focal length of the mirror. This point is important in calculating the magnification and size of images produced by the mirror.