Computing the normal scalar component of acceleration

In summary, the conversation involves a person struggling with a math problem that requires finding the scalar component of acceleration at a given time. They have been given a formula and have attempted to use it, but have failed. They are looking for hints and guidance to solve the problem and eventually figure it out on their own.
Han_Cholo
Hi, I have this math problem where I need to find the scalar component of acceleration at a given time under certain conditions. Usually these problems aren't bad for me, but this one has left me scratching my head.

Its giving me ||a|| = 4 and (aT)(T) = 5i +5j -k

I have the formula aN = (||a||2-aT2)1/2

that I think I can use, and I also have a=aTT + aNN that I also think I can use, but whichever one I try I have failed.

I'm liking the first equation more, but I don't know how to get aT from aTT

Any hints to push me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, "the scalar component of acceleration" would be it's magnitude - though it would not normally be considered a component.
A component is usually the amount the vector points in a particular direction.

You seem to want to know the magnitude of the component of the acceleration that is normal to something.
What is it normal to? You can be normal to a curve, to a surface... It looks like you have a tangential acceleration (tangent to what?) ... in general you cannot get components in other directions without more information than supplied here.

You have a bunch of formulas you do not know how to use - I cannot tell you because I don't know the context of the problem.
Please provide the problem statement as you received it.

Likes Han_Cholo
Simon Bridge said:
Well, "the scalar component of acceleration" would be it's magnitude - though it would not normally be considered a component.
A component is usually the amount the vector points in a particular direction.

You seem to want to know the magnitude of the component of the acceleration that is normal to something.
What is it normal to? You can be normal to a curve, to a surface... It looks like you have a tangential acceleration (tangent to what?) ... in general you cannot get components in other directions without more information than supplied here.

You have a bunch of formulas you do not know how to use - I cannot tell you because I don't know the context of the problem.
Please provide the problem statement as you received it.

I figured it out! I had to normalize aTT and realized T=1, so then I just had to plug that value into the aN equation along with the other given value. Thanks for responding anyways!

OK Well done.

In future, you will get better assistance if you supply the context too.
This is why the standard template asks for the problem statement ... I know typing it out can be a pain but it saves trouble overall.

Related to Computing the normal scalar component of acceleration

1. What is the normal scalar component of acceleration?

The normal scalar component of acceleration is the component of acceleration that is perpendicular to the velocity of an object. It is calculated using the dot product of the acceleration vector and the unit vector in the direction of the normal force.

2. How is the normal scalar component of acceleration different from the tangential component?

The tangential component of acceleration is the component of acceleration that is parallel to the velocity of an object. The normal scalar component is perpendicular to the velocity. Together, they make up the total acceleration of an object.

3. Why is it important to compute the normal scalar component of acceleration?

The normal scalar component of acceleration is important because it helps determine the direction and magnitude of the normal force acting on an object. This is crucial in understanding the motion and forces acting on an object in circular motion or on an inclined plane.

4. What are some real-world applications of computing the normal scalar component of acceleration?

Some real-world applications include analyzing the motion of objects on roller coasters, determining the forces acting on cars as they turn around a curve, and calculating the normal force on a person standing on an escalator.

5. How is the normal scalar component of acceleration calculated?

The normal scalar component of acceleration is calculated using the formula a_n = a * cos(theta), where a is the total acceleration, and theta is the angle between the acceleration vector and the unit vector in the direction of the normal force. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the dot product of the acceleration vector and the unit vector in the direction of the normal force.