Computing the halo mass function and the SFH

In summary, the person is asking how to determine the halo mass function and the SFH in terms of solar masses per year per volume using a catalog of dark matter halos and a stellar catalog. They are unsure of how to factor in the volume and ask for assistance. They are directed to use the NFW profiles and provided with resources to start their research.
matteo86bo
Hi,
I have a catalog of dark matter halos, which consists of their COM positions and their masses.
I need to determine the halo mass function. How can I do? I mean, it is easy to plot the number of halos between mass M and M+dM, but how can I have information on the volume? I don't get it.

Similarly, how can I determine the SFH in terms of solar masses per year per volume, when my stellar catalog contains only stars positions and their birthdate? I mean the problem it is alway the volume.

I know it is a stupid question but I really don't get it.

Thanks in advance

Space news on Phys.org
Well... how big is the volume of the catalog?

Related to Computing the halo mass function and the SFH

What is the halo mass function?

The halo mass function is a mathematical function that describes the statistical distribution of dark matter halos in the universe. It provides information on the number of halos of different masses at a given point in time.

How is the halo mass function computed?

The halo mass function is computed using numerical simulations of the evolution of dark matter halos in the universe. These simulations use the laws of gravity and initial conditions from the Big Bang to model how halos of different masses form and evolve over time.

Why is the halo mass function important?

The halo mass function is important because it provides crucial information for understanding the structure and evolution of the universe. It can also be used to test theories of cosmology and the nature of dark matter.

What is the star formation history (SFH)?

The star formation history (SFH) is a record of the rate at which stars have formed in a galaxy over time. It is typically represented as a plot of the star formation rate (SFR) as a function of time.

How is the SFH related to the halo mass function?

The SFH is related to the halo mass function because the formation and evolution of stars is closely tied to the properties of dark matter halos. The halo mass function provides information on the distribution of halos, which in turn affects the formation and evolution of galaxies and the stars within them.