Computing Neutron Source Strength - Your Advice Welcome

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the strength of a Am-Be neutron source in neutrons/s. One method is to calculate the decay rate of Am-241 and determine the source term using the macroscopic cross-section. Another method is to use the approximate value of 2.2 x 106 n/sec per Ci provided by Amersham, taking into account the decay of Am-241. A conversion factor can also be used, as outlined in the Handbook of Health Physics and Radiological Health Third Edition.
Stephan_doc
Greetings to all,
I know activity for a Am-Be neutron source. I want to compute strenght source in neutrons/s. Yours advices are welcome. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Stephan_doc said:
Greetings to all,
I know activity for a Am-Be neutron source. I want to compute strenght source in neutrons/s. Yours advices are welcome. Thank you!
One could take the α decay rate of Am-241, and with knowledge of the macroscopic cross-section, including reaction efficiency, determine the n source term.

Alternatively, Amersham produces an Am-Be source of ~ 2.2 x 106 n/sec per Ci. This is the approximate value at manufacture, so one has to correct for Am-241 decay. One would have to know the Ci of Am of the original source, or the date of manufacture.

Thank you for answer, finally i found the solution. For example Po-210/Be neutrons-source has a yield of 70 neutrons/1milion alpha particles.

You need a conversion factor. Look at

Bernard Shlein, L. A. (1998). Handbook of Health Physics and Radiological Health Third Edition. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.

Stephan_doc said:
Greetings to all,

Hello and thank you for reaching out to the scientific community for advice on computing neutron source strength. I would recommend using the following steps to calculate the strength of your Am-Be neutron source:

1. Determine the activity of your Am-Be source, which is typically measured in curies (Ci) or becquerels (Bq). This information should be provided by the manufacturer or can be measured using a radiation detector.

2. Convert the activity into neutrons per second (n/s). This can be done by multiplying the activity (in Ci or Bq) by the decay constant of your source, which can also be provided by the manufacturer.

3. Take into account any shielding or other factors that may affect the neutron output of your source. This may require additional calculations or measurements.

4. Once you have calculated the neutron output in n/s, you can use this value to determine the strength of your source in comparison to other sources or to meet any specific requirements for your research or application.

I hope this advice helps and please don't hesitate to reach out for any further assistance. Best of luck with your research!

Related to Computing Neutron Source Strength - Your Advice Welcome

What is a neutron source and how is its strength calculated?

A neutron source is a device or material that produces neutrons, which are subatomic particles. The strength of a neutron source is typically measured in terms of the number of neutrons it produces per unit time. This can be calculated using various methods, such as neutron activation analysis or neutron flux measurements.

What factors affect the strength of a neutron source and how can they be controlled?

There are several factors that can affect the strength of a neutron source, including the type of material used, the geometry of the source, and the energy of the neutrons produced. These factors can be controlled by choosing the appropriate materials and design for the source, as well as adjusting the energy levels through various methods such as changing the temperature or using moderators.

Why is knowing the strength of a neutron source important in scientific research?

Neutron sources are used in a variety of scientific research applications, such as in nuclear reactors, neutron scattering experiments, and material testing. Knowing the strength of a neutron source is crucial for accurately interpreting experimental results and ensuring the safety of researchers and equipment.

What are some common methods used to measure the strength of a neutron source?

There are several methods used to measure the strength of a neutron source, including neutron activation analysis, neutron flux measurements, and fission rate measurements. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the most appropriate method will depend on the specific characteristics of the neutron source being studied.

What are some potential safety concerns when working with neutron sources and how can they be mitigated?

Neutron sources can pose potential safety risks, such as radiation exposure and criticality accidents. These risks can be mitigated through proper training and safety protocols, such as using appropriate shielding materials, handling the source with caution, and following strict operational procedures. Regular safety inspections and maintenance of equipment can also help prevent accidents.