Computing an optimum portfolio for a CARA utility function

In summary: In that case, g(x) can be written as follows:$$g(x)=\left[\begin{array}{cccc}0 & \Sigma^{-1}(x-m)\\e^{-\xi\cdot x} & -\Sigma^{-1}(x-m)\end{array}\right]$$
TaPaKaH

Homework Statement

##u(x)=1-e^{-ax}##.
Random variable ##Y\in\mathbb{R}^d## is a multivariate normal distribution with mean vector ##m## and invertible covariance matrix ##\Sigma##.
Task: Find ##\xi^*\in\mathbb{R}^d## that maximises ##\mathbb{E}u(\xi\cdot Y)## over ##\xi##.

Homework Equations

.[/B]
For ##Y## above, its density function is $$f_Y(x)=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{d/2}|\Sigma|^{1/2}}e^{-\frac{(x-m)^T\Sigma^{-1}(x-m)}{2}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I get it right that in order to find ##\xi^*## I need to solve ##\frac{d}{d\xi_i}\mathbb{E}u(\xi\cdot Y)=0## for ##i=1..d## and then check whether all ##\frac{d}{d\xi_i^2}\mathbb{E}u(\xi\cdot Y)## are negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
TaPaKaH said:

Homework Statement

##u(x)=1-e^{-ax}##.
Random variable ##Y\in\mathbb{R}^d## is a multivariate normal distribution with mean vector ##m## and invertible covariance matrix ##\Sigma##.
Task: Find ##\xi^*\in\mathbb{R}^d## that maximises ##\mathbb{E}u(\xi\cdot Y)## over ##\xi##.

Homework Equations

.[/B]
For ##Y## above, its density function is $$f_Y(x)=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{d/2}|\Sigma|^{1/2}}e^{-\frac{(x-m)^T\Sigma^{-1}(x-m)}{2}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I get it right that in order to find ##\xi^*## I need to solve ##\frac{d}{d\xi_i}\mathbb{E}u(\xi\cdot Y)=0## for ##i=1..d## and then check whether all ##\frac{d}{d\xi_i^2}\mathbb{E}u(\xi\cdot Y)## are negative?

Yes, for ##F(\vec{\xi}) = E u (\vec{\xi} \cdot \vec{Y})## you need to set
[tex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial \xi_i} = 0, \: i = 1, \ldots, d,[/tex]
but the second-order test is more complicated that what you indicated: you need to check that the ##d \times d## Hessian matrix
[tex] H(\vec{\xi}) = \left[ \begin{array}{cccc}
\partial^2 F/ \partial \xi_1 ^2 & \partial^2 F / \partial \xi_1 \partial \xi_2 & \cdots &
\partial^2 F/ \partial \xi_1 \partial \xi_d\\
\partial^2 F /\partial \xi_2 \partial \xi_1 & \partial^2 F/ \partial \xi_2 ^2 & \cdots &
\partial^2 F/ \partial \xi_2 \partial \xi_d\\
\vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots \\
\partial^2 F /\partial \xi_d \partial \xi_1 &\partial^2 F /\partial \xi_d \partial \xi_2 &
\cdots & \partial^2 F/ \partial \xi_d ^d
\end{array}\right] [/tex]
is negative-definite at the optimal value ##\vec{\xi} =\vec{\xi^*} ##.

However, before embarking on any of that I urge you to first evaluate ##F(\vec{\xi})## as an explicit formula; believe it or not it is not too bad!

Last edited:
This is what I got so far:
for ##g(\xi)=\mathbb{E}e^{-\xi\cdot Y}## which we are now looking to minimise,
$$g(\xi)=\int_{\mathbb{R}^d}e^{-\xi\cdot x}f_Y(x)dx=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{d/2}|\Sigma|^{1/2}}\int_{\mathbb{R}^d}e^{-\xi\cdot x}e^{-(x-m)^T\Sigma^{-1}(x-m)/2}dx$$
$$\frac{\partial g}{\partial\xi_i}(\xi)=\frac{-1}{(2\pi)^{d/2}|\Sigma|^{1/2}}\int_{\mathbb{R}^d}x_ie^{-\xi\cdot x}e^{-(x-m)^T\Sigma^{-1}(x-m)/2}dx=-\mathbb{E}(Y_ie^{-\xi\cdot Y})$$
$$\frac{\partial^2g}{\partial\xi_i\xi_j}(\xi)=\mathbb{E}(Y_iY_je^{-\xi\cdot Y})$$
Indeed, it doesn't seem to look too bad, but now I am at slight loss at how to compute the derivatives.

TaPaKaH said:
This is what I got so far:
for ##g(\xi)=\mathbb{E}e^{-\xi\cdot Y}## whicdh we are now looking to minimise,
$$g(\xi)=\int_{\mathbb{R}^d}e^{-\xi\cdot x}f_Y(x)dx=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{d/2}|\Sigma|^{1/2}}\int_{\mathbb{R}^d}e^{-\xi\cdot x}e^{-(x-m)^T\Sigma^{-1}(x-m)/2}dx$$
$$\frac{\partial g}{\partial\xi_i}(\xi)=\frac{-1}{(2\pi)^{d/2}|\Sigma|^{1/2}}\int_{\mathbb{R}^d}x_ie^{-\xi\cdot x}e^{-(x-m)^T\Sigma^{-1}(x-m)/2}dx=-\mathbb{E}(Y_ie^{-\xi\cdot Y})$$
$$\frac{\partial^2g}{\partial\xi_i\xi_j}(\xi)=\mathbb{E}(Y_iY_je^{-\xi\cdot Y})$$
Indeed, it doesn't seem to look too bad, but now I am at slight loss at how to compute the derivatives.

This is not what I meant: I suggested you derive an explicit formula for ##F(\xi)##, and that means calculating the expectation first, by actually doing the d-dimensional integrations! YES: believe it or not, it is quite easy. You just need to use a number of fundamental facts about multivariate normal and univariate normal random variables, and these are available via a Google search on the keywords 'multivariate normal distribution'.

It might be instructive to first solve this in the case where [itex] \Sigma[/itex] is a diagonal matrix.

Related to Computing an optimum portfolio for a CARA utility function

1. What is a CARA utility function?

A CARA utility function is a type of utility function used in finance to measure an investor's risk aversion. CARA stands for Constant Absolute Risk Aversion, meaning that the investor is equally averse to losing a fixed amount of money regardless of their wealth. This function is often used in portfolio optimization to find the optimal balance between risk and return.

2. How is a portfolio optimized using a CARA utility function?

To optimize a portfolio using a CARA utility function, the investor's risk aversion must first be determined. This is typically done by looking at their past investment behavior and preferences. The investor's risk aversion is then used to calculate the expected utility for different portfolio combinations, and the one with the highest expected utility is considered the optimal portfolio.

3. What are the benefits of using a CARA utility function for portfolio optimization?

Using a CARA utility function allows for a more comprehensive and objective approach to portfolio optimization. It takes into account the investor's risk aversion and helps to find a balance between risk and return that is tailored to their preferences. This can lead to a more optimal and personalized portfolio that aligns with the investor's goals and risk tolerance.

4. Are there any limitations to using a CARA utility function for portfolio optimization?

One limitation of using a CARA utility function is that it assumes investors are risk-averse and only concerned with the amount of money they stand to lose. This may not accurately reflect the behavior and preferences of all investors. Additionally, the function does not consider other factors such as liquidity constraints or market conditions, which may impact the optimal portfolio.

5. Can a CARA utility function be used for all types of investments?

A CARA utility function can be used for a wide range of investments, including stocks, bonds, and other asset classes. However, it may not be suitable for all types of investments, such as options or alternative investments, which may have complex risk profiles that cannot be accurately captured by a simple utility function. It is important to consider the specific characteristics of each investment when using a CARA utility function for portfolio optimization.