Computer Science, mathematics, or applied math?

In summary: Summary In summary, this person is interested in the algorithmic part of CS, and thinks they would be better off doing a degree in Applied Mathematics with a concentration in CS.
Amaz1ng
Basically, I'm going to be enrolling into a local university soon but there is a small dilemma as to what exactly I should major in. At first, I thought I wanted computer science but after doing a basic 3d game and tons of other little small projects in various languages (word processor, social networking site, etc) and not having motivation to really finish any of them because it just got boring, I realized I was more interested in the math or problem solving aspect of what I was doing.

I would like to be able to implement complex algorithms for speed, come up with elegant solutions for my problems, and most of all be able to understand the complicated maths when I google for things that I need. I want to CREATE. D:

Part of me wants to do pure mathematics but I don't want to be restricted to a research or teaching job. I guess part of that comes from the idea that I don't have what it takes to be in a research position coming up with completely NEW ideas and I don't really like the idea of teaching. I do like the subject though and I'd spend all my spare time on it if I could.

I think I should do applied mathematics with a concentration in CS. I feel like full CS degree will not give me the math ability that I desire. I actually bought a book called data structures and algorithms in c++ and it is very math heavy. I am not getting everything I can out of the book because I do not fully understand the math in it. But I feel like, if I knew the math, the CS concepts are easy to pickup on.

What does everyone think? I'm rambling. o_O

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm in the exact same boat. I've taken 2 CS courses and they've all been fun until the last two weeks of the 2nd one, which is mind-numbingly boring. Like even the professor wants to fall asleep it's so boring. The projects went from fun and challenging to extremely frustrating. It's really not something I can see myself devoting 40+ hours a week to.

In short, if you don't find yourself interested, I wouldn't do it if there is other objections. I'd love to hear others input on applied math though.

Like many others on this forum, you're probably interested in the algorithmic part of CS right? As opposed to the software engineering, programming languages etc.

To have a good sense of data structures and algorithms up to the usual undergrad level, you don't need to have a very deep understanding of pure maths. You only need to know the basic math involved in computing complexity bounds, I suppose.

I am terrible in my pure math, and barely better in my engineering math classes, but I can ace my CS classes. So I am surprised about your difficulty with the book. Who is the author?

Good topic!

i opted for Computer Science.i had great interest in it.

I'm also interested in this. Why don't you double major? Most of the credits overlap anyway, it will probably just mean an extra semester or year.

One of the major problems with the computer science curriculum in regards to computer graphics and upper-division computer science is it rarely covers enough math to do GOOD computer graphics/science. I would therefore recommend getting a degree in Applied Mathematics, there are several reasons I pick this one.

For one you will get enough of the math you need to do graphics development and there is quite a lot of math involved in the computer graphics aspect. The pure math aspect is not very important in computer science, you rarely have to do a formal proof for example in computer science.

Furthermore a degree in Applied Mathematics will often (check with your school) allow you to take Computer Science classes for some of your curriculum. Especially if you intend to play around with higher end computer graphics this will become important. Sharer's for example require you to understand some aspects from optics and there is usually a strong math/geometry background required to do them especially linear algebra. This will become even more important if you do ray tracers.

That being said, a degree in just Applied math is probably not enough, you may need to do self study or even get a secondary degree in Computer Science to fully understand all aspects of this field.

Last edited:

Related to Computer Science, mathematics, or applied math?

1. What is the difference between computer science and mathematics?

Computer science is the study of computers and computational systems, including their theory, design, development, and application. Mathematics is the study of numbers, quantity, and space, including their structures, patterns, and relationships. While computer science uses mathematical concepts and tools, it focuses more on the practical application of computing technologies.

2. What is the importance of mathematics in computer science?

Mathematics is the foundation of computer science. It provides the logic and structure needed to solve complex problems and develop algorithms. Many of the fundamental concepts in computer science, such as data structures, algorithms, and programming languages, are based on mathematical principles. Therefore, a strong understanding of mathematics is essential for success in the field of computer science.

3. What is the difference between applied mathematics and pure mathematics?

Applied mathematics is the use of mathematical methods to solve real-world problems, while pure mathematics is the study of mathematics for its intrinsic beauty and intellectual challenge. Applied mathematics involves using mathematical models and techniques to solve practical problems in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. Pure mathematics, on the other hand, focuses on abstract concepts and theories, without any specific application in mind.

4. What career opportunities are available for those with a degree in computer science, mathematics, or applied math?

There are numerous career opportunities for individuals with degrees in computer science, mathematics, or applied math. Some of the most common career paths include software development, data analysis, actuarial science, financial analysis, and research. Graduates with a strong background in computer science and mathematics are in high demand in various industries, including technology, finance, healthcare, and government.

5. How do computer science, mathematics, and applied math intersect with other fields of study?

Computer science, mathematics, and applied math intersect with many other fields of study, including engineering, physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. These disciplines often rely on mathematical models and computational methods to solve complex problems and make predictions. For example, computer science is essential in developing algorithms for analyzing large datasets in biology, while mathematics plays a crucial role in modeling and predicting economic trends.