Computer hardware/architecture

• Thread starter WannabeFeynman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the conversation is about the search for a good book on computer hardware and architecture, with one person recommending "Fundamentals of Computer" by Rajaraman and another suggesting "Code" by Petzold. The level of electrical engineering knowledge required is also discussed.
WannabeFeynman
Can anyone recommend a good book on computer hardware/architecture covering things like boolean algebra, logic gates, components etc? Principles of computer hardware by clements is too challenging. I am considering Fundamentals of computer by rajaraman. Thanks

Also, how much electrical engineering knowledge is required? Most people have told me only basic circuits and components.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the quick response, but I had a friend who told me it is more focused on the software side of things - at which I am fairly adept.

Related to Computer hardware/architecture

1. What is computer hardware/architecture?

Computer hardware/architecture refers to the physical components and design of a computer system. This includes the central processing unit (CPU), memory, storage devices, input/output devices, and the overall layout and structure of these components.

2. What is the difference between hardware and software?

Hardware refers to the physical components of a computer system, while software refers to the programs and instructions that tell the hardware what to do. Hardware is tangible and can be physically touched, while software is intangible and exists as code and data.

3. What are the main components of a computer system?

The main components of a computer system include the CPU, memory, storage devices, input/output devices, and the motherboard which connects all of these components together. Other important components may include the power supply, graphics card, and cooling system.

4. What is the purpose of computer architecture?

The purpose of computer architecture is to design and organize the various components of a computer system in a way that maximizes performance, efficiency, and reliability. It also involves making design choices and trade-offs to meet the needs of different types of computing tasks and user requirements.

5. How does computer architecture impact overall system performance?

The design and organization of computer architecture can have a significant impact on the overall performance of a computer system. A well-designed architecture can improve processing speed, memory management, and data transfer rates, while a poorly designed architecture can lead to bottlenecks and slow down overall performance.