Computer exploration of fundemental constants

In summary, the speaker, a retired computer programmer, is asking if anyone has used programming to randomly generate equations in order to investigate dimensionless physical and mathematical constants. They explain that they have tried this in the past but are unsure if they found anything significant. They are curious if there are people who specialize in this type of research.
gaaah
Hi, I'm a retired computer programmer (of mostly business applications). I wondered if anyone could tell me if anyone has used programming to investigate the dimensionless physical/mathematical constants in a random way. By random way I mean: write a program to randomly generate an equation --randomly selecting operators, operands, equation length, etc, and testing if the result approximates zero or another dimensionless constant. If the computer found such a hit, it could flag the equation for later review and keep on exploring.

Of course the idea is that after trillions of equations it is possible a new fundamental law could be found, or at least it could provide fodder for new research.

I actually did write a program like this several years ago, and got some hits, but I didn't have the physics chops to tell if I really found anything (and I left it off as a project to take up later).

Certainly this is not a new idea(?) Can someone point me at people that do this type of research?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean like the speed of light in miles per second and the speed of light in feet per second differ by exactly 5280?

Related to Computer exploration of fundemental constants

1. What are fundamental constants?

Fundamental constants are physical quantities that are believed to be constant throughout the universe and are considered to be the building blocks of our understanding of the natural world. They are often used to describe the fundamental laws of nature, such as the speed of light and the strength of electromagnetic forces.

2. How is computer exploration used to study fundamental constants?

Computer exploration involves using computational techniques and simulations to study the behavior and relationships of fundamental constants. This allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and can lead to new discoveries and insights.

3. What are some examples of fundamental constants?

Some examples of fundamental constants include the speed of light (c), the gravitational constant (G), the fine structure constant (α), and the Planck constant (h). These are all numbers that have been measured and are used to describe and predict the behavior of physical phenomena.

4. How do fundamental constants impact our understanding of the universe?

Fundamental constants play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. They help us describe the behavior of matter and energy, the forces that govern the interactions between them, and the structure and evolution of the universe as a whole. By studying these constants, we can gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws that govern our universe.

5. Can computer exploration lead to changes in our current understanding of fundamental constants?

Yes, computer exploration can lead to new discoveries and changes in our current understanding of fundamental constants. By using advanced computational techniques, scientists are able to explore and test different theories and models, which can lead to new insights and revisions to our current understanding of these constants.