Compute the degree of K over Q

• Thread starter Firepanda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimal polynomial of K over L, where L is Q(31/3) and K is a root of X^3-1. The speaker is stuck on finding the minimal polynomial and seeks help. It is determined that X^3-1 is not irreducible and can be factored over L. After some calculations, it is found that the basis elements for K over Q are {1, (31/3), (91/3), w, (31/3)w, (91/3)w}.
Firepanda
6f3xhi.png

I'll skip out some tedious bits that I'm confident I have correct and get to the part I'm stuck on

Let L = Q(31/3)

[L:Q] = 3

Clearly [K:L] >1

w is a root of X3-1

So

[K:L] is less than or equal to 3, in particular it is either 2 or 3

Here is where I'm stuck

I tried to show that X3-1 is the min poly of K over L by supposing there exists an a,b in Q such that

(a+b(31/3)) = 1

with a hope of finding a contradiction, but when a=1 this is clearly a root and 1 is an element of L, so this canot be the minimal polynomial of K over L.

Can anyone help me find the minimal polynomial of K over L?

Thanks

Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, [itex]X^3-1[/itex] is not irreducible. Can you factor this polynomial over L?? I.e. can you factor out x-1? Maybe what's left WILL be the minimal polynomial?

Ah ok so X2+X+1

By the same method as before I showed thre is no element a,b satisfying

(a+b(31/3))2 + (a+b(31/3)) = -1

so it is irreducible over Q(31/3)

By the tower law [K:Q]=6

Are my basis elements

{1, (31/3), (91/3), w, (31/3)w, (91/3)w}?

Thanks

That seems correct!

Related to Compute the degree of K over Q

1. What does it mean to "compute the degree of K over Q"?

Computing the degree of K over Q refers to finding the degree of the field extension K/Q, which is the dimension of K as a vector space over Q. In other words, it is the number of elements in a basis for the field extension K/Q.

2. How is the degree of K over Q calculated?

The degree of K over Q can be calculated using the tower law for field extensions. This states that if K is a field extension of L, and L is a field extension of F, then the degree of K over F is equal to the product of the degrees of K over L and L over F. So, to compute the degree of K over Q, one would need to calculate the degree of K over some intermediate field L, and then calculate the degree of L over Q.

3. Why is computing the degree of K over Q important?

Computing the degree of K over Q is important in understanding the structure and properties of the field extension K/Q. It can also be used to determine whether a given element in K can be written as a polynomial expression in elements from Q.

4. Can the degree of K over Q be infinite?

Yes, the degree of K over Q can be infinite. This occurs when the field extension K/Q is not a finite extension, meaning that K contains an infinite number of elements that cannot be expressed as a polynomial in elements from Q.

5. Are there any practical applications of computing the degree of K over Q?

Yes, there are many practical applications of computing the degree of K over Q in fields such as number theory, algebraic geometry, and cryptography. It is also important in understanding the solvability of polynomial equations and constructing field extensions for certain mathematical problems.