Computability theory essay - advice before I begin

In summary, the conversation was about writing an essay on Computability Theory for a PhD logic course. The person was asking for suggestions on subtopics to focus on and for any helpful resources. They also discussed the nature of non-computable numbers and the philosophical implications of their existence. The suggested structure for the essay would be five pages on general background and five pages on the nature of non-computable numbers and their importance.
scienalc
Hi,

I have to write an ~10 pages essay on Computabilty theory as part of my PhD logic course. Given that that is a very broad topic and that I found very little information on the internet, I would like to ask if anybody has had any experience with that?

My primary issue would be which subtopics should I focus on, i.e. the structure of my essay. What would you suggest a ~10 pages essay about Computability Theory should contain?

But any other help, including good sites, e-books, journal articles, ... is very welcome.

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
scienalc said:
Hi,

I have to write an ~10 pages essay on Computabilty theory as part of my PhD logic course. Given that that is a very broad topic and that I found very little information on the internet, I would like to ask if anybody has had any experience with that?

My primary issue would be which subtopics should I focus on, i.e. the structure of my essay. What would you suggest a ~10 pages essay about Computability Theory should contain?

But any other help, including good sites, e-books, journal articles, ... is very welcome.

Thanks a lot

Is it supposed to be more mathematical, or more philosophical? Perhaps after developing the background of what computable numbers are; you can spend some time delving into the non-computable ones. These are the vast, uncountable set of real numbers that cannot be characterized in any way using finite strings of symbols.

So these are numbers that can never be programmed into computers, appear to be totally random and meaningless strings of bits ... and yet, without them, the continuum would be full of holes.

So this is the boundary between the discrete and the continuous. The computable and the ineffable.

A lot of people who come to set theory from computer science really dislike uncountable sets and noncomputable numbers.

So five pages general background; and five pages on the nature of uncomputable numbers; the ways in which some computer scientists don't like them very much; the way they're essential to the notion of the mathematical continuum; and the philosophical problem of the existence of important entities -- the noncomputable numbers -- that cannot possibly be programmed into our algorithmic machines? Perhaps there's something important about the noncomputable numbers.

I think this would be a pretty cool paper.

Related to Computability theory essay - advice before I begin

1. What is computability theory?

Computability theory is a branch of computer science that studies the fundamental limitations of computation. It explores the question of what problems can be solved by computers and what problems cannot be solved by computers.

2. Why is computability theory important?

Computability theory is important because it helps us understand the fundamental capabilities and limitations of computers. It also provides a theoretical basis for understanding and analyzing algorithms, programming languages, and computational models.

3. How does computability theory relate to other branches of computer science?

Computability theory is closely related to other branches of computer science, such as algorithmic complexity theory, automata theory, and formal languages. These fields all deal with the study of computation and its limits.

4. What are some real-world applications of computability theory?

Although computability theory is a theoretical field, it has practical applications in areas such as artificial intelligence, cryptography, and software verification. It also provides insights into the limitations of computer systems and helps in designing more efficient algorithms.

5. What advice do you have for someone writing an essay on computability theory?

Before beginning your essay, make sure you have a strong understanding of the basic concepts and theories in computability theory. It is also helpful to read and reference works by influential figures in the field, such as Alan Turing and Kurt Gödel. Finally, be sure to clearly define and explain any technical terms and concepts in your essay for a wider audience.