Compressing He for Weather Balloon Engine

In summary, the speaker has a weather balloon filled with helium and wants to attach weight to it and release the helium as the balloon climbs. They also want to use a compressor to act as an engine because the air is thin at a high altitude. They plan to use solar panels for electricity but are unsure if it is feasible. The other person suggests using batteries instead. The speaker is concerned about the batteries discharging and wants a way to charge them, but is unsure if solar panels will be enough.
masterjoda
Hi, I have a weather balloon and I would filled it with He and attach some weight and I would release He as balloon climbs and it will eventually stops at some altitude. So now I wanted compressor to acts like an engine because air is thin at 20-30km and I would put solar panels to provide electricity. Do you think this is realizable?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you explain what you want the power for? It seems to me that packing a couple of batteries along would be easier.

I think of the batteries too, but what when they discharge, I want somehow to charge them. But I don't know if solar panel would be enough.

Related to Compressing He for Weather Balloon Engine

1. How does compressing He help with a weather balloon engine?

Compressing He, or helium, helps with a weather balloon engine by increasing the density and pressure of the gas inside the balloon, which allows the balloon to lift more weight and reach higher altitudes.

2. What is the ideal pressure for compressing He in a weather balloon engine?

The ideal pressure for compressing He in a weather balloon engine varies depending on factors such as the size and weight of the balloon, as well as the desired altitude. Generally, a pressure of around 1.5 to 2 atmospheres is recommended for optimal lift.

3. How does compressing He affect the cost of a weather balloon launch?

Compressing He does add to the cost of a weather balloon launch, as it requires specialized equipment and can be a limited resource. However, the increased lift and altitude achieved by compressing He can also lead to more accurate data collection and potentially lower overall costs in the long run.

4. Are there any safety concerns when compressing and handling He for a weather balloon engine?

Yes, there are safety concerns when handling He for a weather balloon engine. Helium is a non-toxic gas, but it is highly flammable and can cause asphyxiation if inhaled in large quantities. Proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and handling the gas in a well-ventilated area, should always be taken.

5. Can other gases besides He be used for a weather balloon engine?

Yes, other gases such as hydrogen and hot air can be used for a weather balloon engine. However, He is the most commonly used gas due to its availability, stability, and non-flammability. Other gases may also require different equipment and safety measures.