Composition of Maps HW: Show f Injective & Bijective

In summary: But I still need to prove this:(2) Suppose now that f o g = 1_{B} and hof = 1_{A}. Show that f is bijective and g=h.Proof: Since f o g = 1_B, we know that f is surjective (since every element of B has a preimage in A under f). Since h o f = 1_A, we know that f is injective (since distinct elements in A can only have distinct preimages in B under f). Therefore, f is bijective.Since f is bijective, we know that it has an inverse function, denoted f^-1. Therefore, we have:g = 1_A o g = (
roam

Homework Statement

Let A,B be sets and let [tex]f:A \rightarrow B[/tex] and [tex]g,h:B \rightarrow A[/tex] be functions.

(1) Suppose [tex]h o f[/tex] is an injective map from [tex]A[/tex] to itself. Show that [tex]f[/tex] is injective.

(2) Suppose now that [tex]f o g = 1_{B}[/tex] and [tex]hof = 1_{A}[/tex]. Show that [tex]f[/tex] is bijective and [tex]g=h[/tex].

P.S. given that f is surjective.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) [tex]h o f[/tex] is 1-1 [tex]\Leftrightarrow \forall a,a' \in A[/tex] such that [tex]a \neq a'[/tex], [tex]h o f(a) \neq h o f(a')[/tex]

[tex]\Leftrightarrow h(f(a)) \neq h(f(a'))[/tex]

[tex]\Leftrightarrow f(a) \neq f(a')[/tex]

I'm fine with part (1)

(2) I need some help to write a proper proof for this one.

[tex]f[/tex] is an injective map from my previus work in part (1), I also think [tex]h \circ f = 1_A[/tex] but I don't know how to justify this. ([tex]1_A[/tex] & [tex]1_b[/tex] notation represents the identity).

[tex]f[/tex] is surjective, if it is not, then [tex]f o g[/tex] also isn't surjective, but [tex]f \circ g = 1_B[/tex] is surjective.
Further, we have [tex]g= 1_A \circ g=h \circ f \circ g=h \circ 1_B=h[/tex], since composition of functions is associative.

Any help is appreciated! This is VERY urgent!

Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:

Homework Statement

Let A,B be sets and let [tex]f:A \rightarrow B[/tex] and [tex]g,h:B \rightarrow A[/tex] be functions.

(1) Suppose [tex]h o f[/tex] is an injective map from [tex]A[/tex] to itself. Show that [tex]f[/tex] is injective.

(2) Suppose now that [tex]f o g = 1_{B}[/tex] and [tex]hof = 1_{A}[/tex]. Show that [tex]f[/tex] is bijective and [tex]g=h[/tex].

P.S. given that f is surjective.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) [tex]h o f[/tex] is 1-1 [tex]\Leftrightarrow \forall a,a' \in A[/tex] such that [tex]a \neq a'[/tex], [tex]h o f(a) \neq h o f(a')[/tex]

[tex]\Leftrightarrow h(f(a)) \neq h(f(a'))[/tex]

[tex]\Leftrightarrow f(a) \neq f(a')[/tex]

I'm fine with part (1)

(2) I need some help to write a proper proof for this one.

[tex]f[/tex] is an injective map from my previus work in part (1), I also think [tex]h \circ f = 1_A[/tex] but I don't know how to justify this.
You say you are given that [tex]h \circ f= 1_A[/tex], you don't need to prove it!

([tex]1_A[/tex] & [tex]1_b[/tex] notation represents the identity).

[tex]f[/tex] is surjective, if it is not, then [tex]f o g[/tex] also isn't surjective, but [tex]f \circ g = 1_B[/tex] is surjective.
Again, you say you are given that f is surjective!

Further, we have [tex]g= 1_A \circ g=h \circ f \circ g=h \circ 1_B=h[/tex], since composition of functions is associative.

Any help is appreciated! This is VERY urgent!

But I still need to prove this:

I don't know what to write down as the "proof"...

roam said:
But I still need to prove this:

I don't know what to write down as the "proof"...

f is bijective if it is injective and surjective (which I believe you showed). The proof of g = h you already did (owing to associativity of composition).

In your proof of part (1), I'd be careful with your implication arrows. They all go to the right just fine, only some go to the left. There is no need to explore the leftward implications. You only need to show [itex]a \neq a' \Rightarrow f(a) \neq f(a')[/itex].

--Elucidus

Related to Composition of Maps HW: Show f Injective & Bijective

1. What is the definition of an injective function?

An injective function, also known as one-to-one function, is a function in which every element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range.

2. How can I determine if a given function is injective?

You can determine if a function is injective by using the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at most once, then the function is injective.

3. What does it mean for a function to be bijective?

A bijective function, also known as a one-to-one and onto function, is a function that is both injective and surjective. This means that every element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range and every element in the range has at least one preimage in the domain.

4. How can I prove that a function is bijective?

To prove that a function is bijective, you must show that it is both injective and surjective. This can be done by using mathematical definitions and properties, such as the horizontal line test for injectivity and the existence of a unique preimage for surjectivity.

5. How does the composition of two bijective functions result in a bijective function?

The composition of two bijective functions results in a bijective function because the two functions each have unique inputs and outputs, and when combined, they preserve this uniqueness. This means that the resulting function will also have unique inputs and outputs, making it bijective.