Composition of Linear Transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to computing matrix products and finding transformation matrices. The first question involves computing the matrix product of two linear transformations, S and T, applied to polynomials of degree 4, 3, and 2. The second question involves finding the transformation matrix from one standard basis to another for two vector spaces, V and W, using the derivative and integration mappings. The conversation also includes some attempts at solving these questions and seeking clarification on the correct approach.
trap101
Hi,

Two questions:

1) Compute the matrix product corresponding to the composition of the transformations. Let
U = P4(R) [polynomial degree 4], V = P3(R) , and W = P2, and let S = d/dx (derivative) and T = d/dx (derivative). Then the composition TS = d^2/dx^2 (second deriv)

Attempt: Now I'm assuming that we are using the standard basis vectors of the respective polynomials. So I apply the transformations to the respective polynomials. I forgot to mention S: U-->V , T: V-->W.

now applying the transformation to P4 I get: 4ax^3 + 3bx^2 + 2cx + d. From here I'm suppose to write this vector as a linear combination of the basis vectors, but my issue (if it is one) is that this is the only vector I have in P4 (trying to prove the general case), so am I safe to assume that the coeffcients that I get will be all that I have as my transformation vector from U-->V ? i.e: the coordinate vector? I thought I was suppose to get a full matrix? Once I get this part obviously the second part will follow. Help!

2) Let V = P3(R) and W = P4(R). Let D: W-->V be the derivative mapping D(p) = p', and let Int: V-->W be the integration mapping Int(p) = "integral sign" p(t) dt. Let "alpha" = {1,x,x^2,x^3} and "beta" = {1,x,x^2,x^3,x^4} be the standard bases in V and W. Compute transformation matrix "beta" to "alpha".

Attempt: Ok so I apply the transformation to the elements of "beta" individually. Now I get D(1) = 0, D(x) = 1, D(x^2) = 2x...etc. Now I wrote each individual transformation as a linear combination of the standard basis in "alpha" and I get a bunch of coordinate vectors, but one set of these coordinate vectors is all 0's. Is this the right approach or am I missing smoething?

Thanks for your guys help

Physics news on Phys.org
You have 5 vectors in P4, i.e., x^4, x^3, x^2, x^1, x^0

I just realized my mistake, I meant to say "apply the transformation to P4, then I end up in P3"

You need to study the relationship between linear operators and matrices. It's explained e.g. in post #3 in this thread. (Ignore the quote and the stuff below it).

Edit: It's not clear to me what's meant by the transformation matrix from beta to alpha.

Last edited:

Related to Composition of Linear Transformations

What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another while preserving the structure of the original space. This means that the transformation must maintain the properties of addition and scalar multiplication.

What is the composition of linear transformations?

The composition of linear transformations refers to applying one linear transformation after another. This results in a new transformation that combines the effects of the individual transformations.

How do you represent a linear transformation?

A linear transformation can be represented by a matrix. The columns of the matrix represent the images of the basis vectors of the original vector space under the transformation.

What is the matrix representation of the composition of two linear transformations?

The matrix representation of the composition of two linear transformations is equal to the product of the individual transformation matrices. This can be written as AB, where A and B are the matrices representing the two transformations.

How does the composition of linear transformations affect the dimension of the vector space?

The composition of linear transformations preserves the dimension of the vector space. This means that the composition of two linear transformations will result in a new transformation that maps between the same vector spaces as the original transformations.