Composition and the chain rule

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of differentiability for a composed function involving a given function f and function g. It is found that f is not differentiable at (0,0) and therefore the composition is also not differentiable at that point. The conversation also mentions the use of the chain rule and the importance of both functions being differentiable for the composition to be differentiable. A link to a helpful resource is also shared.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

I have a problem with the next exercise:

Given de function [tex]f(x,y)=\begin{Bmatrix} \displaystyle\frac{xy^2}{x^2+y^2} & \mbox{ if }& (x,y)\neq{(0,0)}\\0 & \mbox{if}& (x,y)=(0,0)\end{matrix}[/tex] with [tex]\vec{g}(t)=\begin{Bmatrix} x=at \\y=bt \end{matrix},t\in{\mathbb{R}}[/tex]

a) Find [tex]h=fog[/tex] y [tex]\displaystyle\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex] for t=0

The thing is that I've found that f isn't differentiable at (0,0). The partial derivatives exists at that point, I've found them by definition.

[tex]f_x(0,0)=0=f_y(0,0)[/tex]

And then I saw if it was differentiable at that point.

[tex]\displaystyle\lim_{(x,y) \to{(0,0)}}{\displaystyle\frac{xy^2}{(x^2+y^2)^{3/2}}}[/tex]

In the polar form it gives that this limit doesn't exists, so it isn't differentiable at that point. So I can't apply the chain rule there, right?

To ensure the differentiability of a composed function, both function must be differentiable. If one isn't, then the composition isn't differentiable at a certain point. Right?

Bye there, and thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Telemachus said:

Homework Statement

I have a problem with the next exercise:

Given de function [tex]f(x,y)=\begin{Bmatrix} \displaystyle\frac{xy^2}{x^2+y^2} & \mbox{ if }& (x,y)\neq{(0,0)}\\0 & \mbox{if}& (x,y)=(0,0)\end{matrix}[/tex] with [tex]\vec{g}(t)=\begin{Bmatrix} x=at \\y=bt \end{matrix},t\in{\mathbb{R}}[/tex]

a) Find [tex]h=fog[/tex] y [tex]\displaystyle\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex] for t=0

The thing is that I've found that f isn't differentiable at (0,0). The partial derivatives exists at that point, I've found them by definition.

[tex]f_x(0,0)=0=f_y(0,0)[/tex]

And then I saw if it was differentiable at that point.

[tex]\displaystyle\lim_{(x,y) \to{(0,0)}}{\displaystyle\frac{xy^2}{(x^2+y^2)^{3/2}}}[/tex]

In the polar form it gives that this limit doesn't exists, so it isn't differentiable at that point. So I can't apply the chain rule there, right?

To ensure the differentiability of a composed function, both function must be differentiable. If one isn't, then the composition isn't differentiable at a certain point. Right?

Bye there, and thanks.

Found this here course where they deal with the chainrule on two variable function...
http://www.math.oregonstate.edu/hom...lculusQuestStudyGuides/vcalc/chain/chain.html

Thank you Susanne

Telemachus said:
Thank you Susanne

You are welcome. I find it better to see worked through examples something to understand the methods and theory :)

Related to Composition and the chain rule

1. What is composition in mathematics?

Composition in mathematics is a method of combining two or more functions to create a new function. It involves plugging one function into another, where the output of the first function becomes the input of the second function.

2. What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a formula used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

3. Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler functions. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many real-world applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. How do you apply the chain rule?

To apply the chain rule, you first identify the outer function and the inner function. Then, you differentiate the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. If there are multiple inner functions, you continue this process until you have differentiated all the functions. Finally, you multiply all the derivatives together to get the overall derivative of the composite function.

5. Can the chain rule be used for functions with more than two components?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to functions with any number of components. You simply continue the process of differentiating the outer and inner functions until you have differentiated all the components. Just remember to multiply all the derivatives together at the end to get the final derivative of the composite function.