Composing Two Complex Functions

In summary, the function f(z) = x + iy^2 maps a complex number x + iy to x + iy^2. When applied to a contour described by the parametric function z(t) = e^t + it, it results in the function f(z(t)) = e^t + it^2. In the general case, the composition of a function f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y) and a contour described by the parametric function z(t) = x(t) + iy(t) would look like f(x(t),y(t)) = u(x(t),y(t)) + iv(x(t),y(t)).
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Suppose we have the function ##f(z) = x + iy^2## and a contour given by ##z(t) = e^t + it## on ##a \le t \le b##.
Find ##x(t)##, ##y(t)##, and ##f(z(t))##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, ##x(t)## and ##y(t)## are rather simple to identity. However, I am having difficulty determining ##f(z(t))##, which I believe seems from some notational issues.

##f(z) = f(z(t)) = f(\underbrace{e^t + it}_?) = ...?##

I could write

##f(z) = x + iy^2 \iff##

##f\langle (x,y) \rangle = x + iy^2##.

I know that ##x(t) = e^t## and ##y(t) = t##.

##f\langle (x(t), y(t) ) \rangle = x(t) + i[y(t)]^2 \iff##

##f\langle (x(t), y(t) ) \rangle = e^t + it^2##.

I find this somewhat unsettling. Suppose that I have the function ##f(z) = f(x,y) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y)## (I am dropping the ##\langle \rangle## notation); and suppose that we have the contour described by the parametric function ##z(t) = x(t) + iy(t)##. In the general case, would the composition look like

##f(x(t),y(t)) = u(x(t),y(t)) + iv(x(t),y(t))##?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Suppose we have the function ##f(z) = x + iy^2## and a contour given by ##z(t) = e^t + it## on ##a \le t \le b##.
Find ##x(t)##, ##y(t)##, and ##f(z(t))##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, ##x(t)## and ##y(t)## are rather simple to identity. However, I am having difficulty determining ##f(z(t))##, which I believe seems from some notational issues.

##f(z) = f(z(t)) = f(\underbrace{e^t + it}_?) = ...?##

I could write

##f(z) = x + iy^2 \iff##

##f\langle (x,y) \rangle = x + iy^2##.

I know that ##x(t) = e^t## and ##y(t) = t##.

##f\langle (x(t), y(t) ) \rangle = x(t) + i[y(t)]^2 \iff##

##f\langle (x(t), y(t) ) \rangle = e^t + it^2##.
Looks fine to me. f maps a complex number x + iy to x + iy2, so the same function maps et + it to et + it2, which is what you have.
Bashyboy said:
I find this somewhat unsettling. Suppose that I have the function ##f(z) = f(x,y) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y)## (I am dropping the ##\langle \rangle## notation); and suppose that we have the contour described by the parametric function ##z(t) = x(t) + iy(t)##. In the general case, would the composition look like

##f(x(t),y(t)) = u(x(t),y(t)) + iv(x(t),y(t))##?

Likes Bashyboy

Related to Composing Two Complex Functions

1. What is the definition of composing two complex functions?

Composing two complex functions is the process of combining two functions, where the output of one function becomes the input of the other function.

2. How do you write the composition of two complex functions?

To write the composition of two complex functions, use the notation (f ∘ g)(x) or f(g(x)), where f and g are the two functions being composed.

3. What is the order of operations when composing two complex functions?

The order of operations when composing two complex functions is from right to left. This means that the inner function is evaluated first, followed by the outer function.

4. What happens if the two complex functions have different domains and ranges?

If the two complex functions have different domains and ranges, it is important to check if the output of the inner function is within the domain of the outer function. If not, the composition of the two functions may not be possible.

5. How can composing two complex functions be useful in real-world applications?

Composing two complex functions is useful in real-world applications because it allows us to break down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It also helps us to model real-world situations where multiple functions may be involved.