Component of Force downward on Loppers (the kind for trimming bushes)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a lopper for trimming bushes or tree branches. The lopper is rigged up with a load cell that applies a constant downward force, causing the top arm to change its angle theta. However, it is noted that as the load cell force is applied, it starts slipping down the upper handle. The question is raised whether the force can be componentized into F_x and F_y components. The solution is given as using sine and cosine to determine the corresponding force components.
noblerare
Hi people,

I have a lopper (the kind for trimming bushes or tree branches). I have it rigged up like the diagram below. The blades are on the bottom left. The bottom arm is straight while the top arm is at an angle theta. I have a load cell which is applying a constant force downward and compressing the arm, thus changing the theta.

I noticed that as I apply the load cell force downward, it starts slipping down the upper handle as it compresses. In any case, if F is the force that I apply downward, does it make sense to componentize it into F_x and F_y components? If so, what would that be? I figured it may be some sort of arctan equation but haven't quite wrapped my head around how to go about doing it.

diagram.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
F, as you draw it, does not have a (non-zero) x component. You can split the force in a component orthogonal and a component parallel to the diagonal bar, however. Sine and cosine give the corresponding force components.

Okay, so if I were the break up F into the orthogonal and parallel components to the diagonal bar (upper handle) would it be:

Parallel: F*csc(theta)
Orthogonal:F*csc(theta+90)
?

Not sure if that is right...

Edit: No, it seems the orthogonal is Fcos(theta)..

Last edited:
noblerare said:
Edit: No, it seems the orthogonal is Fcos(theta)..
And the other one is F sin(theta).

Perfect. Thank you!

Related to Component of Force downward on Loppers (the kind for trimming bushes)

1. What is the component of force downward on loppers?

The component of force downward on loppers is the force that is acting in a downward direction on the lopper blades when they are used for trimming bushes. This force is typically caused by the weight of the loppers and the force applied by the user.

2. Why is the component of force downward important in loppers?

The component of force downward is important in loppers because it is what allows the blades to cut through branches and stems of bushes. Without this force, the loppers would not be able to effectively trim the bushes.

3. How does the component of force downward affect the cutting ability of loppers?

The component of force downward directly affects the cutting ability of loppers. The greater the downward force, the more pressure is applied to the blades, resulting in a stronger cutting force. However, too much force can also cause the blades to become dull more quickly.

4. What factors can affect the component of force downward on loppers?

The weight of the loppers, the strength and technique of the user, and the size and density of the branches being cut can all impact the component of force downward on loppers. Additionally, the condition and sharpness of the blades can also affect this force.

5. How can the component of force downward be adjusted on loppers?

The component of force downward on loppers can be adjusted by changing the angle at which the loppers are held, as well as by adjusting the position of the user's hands on the handles. Additionally, using loppers with different blade sizes and weights can also affect the component of force downward.