Complicated implicit multivariable differentiation problem

In summary, the given equation has a differentiable function f(x,y) in a neighborhood of the point (1,1,1). To find the partial derivative of f with respect to x at (1,1), we can use the expression \displaystyle\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \displaystyle\frac{-6x^{5}y^{5}-7z^{9}x^{6}-4yz}{5y^{4}z^{4}+9z^{8}x^{7}+4xy}. After substituting the values for (1,1,1), the result is -17/18. However, differentiating the expression with respect to x and simplifying can
fogvajarash

Homework Statement

Given that the surface [itex]x^{6}y^{5}+y^{4}z^{5}+z^{9}x^{7}+4xyz=7[/itex] has the equation z = f(x, y) in a neighborhood of the point (1, 1, 1) with f(x,y) differentiable, find:

[itex]\displaystyle\frac{\partial^{2} f}{\partial x^{2}}(1,1) = ? [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To make things easier, i have already found an expression for the partial derivative of z with respect to x:

[itex]\displaystyle\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \displaystyle\frac{-6x^{5}y^{5}-7z^{9}x^{6}-4yz}{5y^{4}z^{4}+9z^{8}x^{7}+4xy} [/itex]

And at (1, 1), it's value is -17/18. I have tried to differentiate the expression with respect to x going from this general expression and doing so implicitly and then collecting the terms, however, i get two different results which are both wrong: 1129/729 and -160416. Is there an easier way to approach this problem or it is just tedious differentiation and being extremely careful with the terms?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Should that first term on the denominator be 5y4z4 instead?

danago said:
Should that first term on the denominator be 5y4z4 instead?
Yes I'm sorry. I've fixed it but it won't affect the result anyways (as we have a y = 1 and we are differentiating with respect to x)

Related to Complicated implicit multivariable differentiation problem

What is a complicated implicit multivariable differentiation problem?

A complicated implicit multivariable differentiation problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to multiple variables, where the function is not explicitly given but rather defined implicitly by an equation or set of equations. This type of problem can be difficult to solve because it may require the use of multiple differentiation techniques and may involve complex algebraic manipulations.

How is a complicated implicit multivariable differentiation problem different from a regular multivariable differentiation problem?

The main difference between a complicated implicit multivariable differentiation problem and a regular multivariable differentiation problem is that the function to be differentiated is not explicitly given in the former. In a regular multivariable differentiation problem, the function is usually defined as an explicit formula, while in a complicated implicit multivariable differentiation problem, the function is defined implicitly by an equation or set of equations. This makes the problem more complex and challenging to solve.

What are some common techniques used to solve complicated implicit multivariable differentiation problems?

Some common techniques used to solve complicated implicit multivariable differentiation problems include implicit differentiation, partial differentiation, and the chain rule. These techniques are used to find the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and then combine them to find the overall rate of change. Other techniques such as substitution, elimination, and manipulation of equations may also be used depending on the specific problem.

Why are complicated implicit multivariable differentiation problems important in science?

Complicated implicit multivariable differentiation problems are important in science because they allow us to model and understand complex systems that involve multiple variables. These problems are commonly encountered in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. By solving these problems, we can gain insights into how different variables affect each other and make predictions about how the system will behave under different conditions.

How can I improve my skills in solving complicated implicit multivariable differentiation problems?

To improve your skills in solving complicated implicit multivariable differentiation problems, it is important to have a strong understanding of basic calculus principles such as derivatives, chain rule, and implicit differentiation. Practice is also key, so try solving a variety of problems and seek help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or a tutor if needed. Additionally, developing good critical thinking and problem-solving skills can also be beneficial in tackling these types of problems.