Complicated Curve Sketch and Derivative Computation (Calc I)

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving two problems related to the fundamental theorem of calculus, specifically dealing with finding limits and calculating intervals of increase/decrease and concavity. The first problem involves finding two limits, while the second problem involves using the limit to positive infinity to eliminate absolute value signs.
ShangMing

Homework Statement

wvzi4p.png

Homework Equations

Fundamental theorem of calculus.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first problem, I'm completely lost. I've only worked with slant asymptotes for polynomials so finding the domain, range and intercepts is as far as I've gotten.

I'm not too great at absolute value functions either, so when I take the derivative, do I need to use two cases for positive and negative x when I'm finding intervals of increase/decrease, concavity, etc?

For the second question, I have absolutely no idea where to even begin.

Thanks PF

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to know anything about slant asymptotes to answer this question. All they're asking you is to calculate two limits:

[tex]m=\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}{\frac{f(x)}{x}}[/tex]

and once you've calculates that, you need to calculate

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}{f(x)-mx}[/tex]

And don't worry about the absolute value. You take the limit to positive infinity. This means that your x will become very large, and in particular it will become larger then -2. This means that |x+2| becomes positive. So you can drop the absolute value signs.

Related to Complicated Curve Sketch and Derivative Computation (Calc I)

1. What is a complicated curve?

A complicated curve is a mathematical function that has a complex shape and can be difficult to represent visually. It may involve multiple variables and have many intricate details in its graph.

2. Why is it important to sketch complicated curves?

Sketching complicated curves can help us gain a better understanding of their behavior and characteristics. It also allows us to make predictions and analyze the behavior of the curve at different points.

3. How do you compute the derivative of a complicated curve?

To compute the derivative of a complicated curve, we need to use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. We also need to simplify the function as much as possible before taking the derivative.

4. What is the purpose of computing the derivative of a complicated curve?

The derivative of a complicated curve gives us the slope of the tangent line at any given point on the curve. This helps us understand the instantaneous rate of change of the curve and its behavior at different points.

5. Can I use a calculator to compute the derivative of a complicated curve?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a built-in function for computing derivatives. However, it is important to understand the concept and be able to compute the derivative manually to ensure accuracy and avoid errors.