Complex-Valued Solutions of Second-Order Linear Equations

This is because a complex number is equal to zero when its real and imaginary parts are equal to zero, so plugging in y(t)=yre(t) + iyim(t) into the DE will result in both the real and imaginary parts adding up to zero, making yre(t) and yim(t) solutions.
Dusty912

Homework Statement

Suppose y(t) is a complex-valued solution of y'' +py' + qy=0 where p and q are real numbers. Show that if y(t)=yre(t) + iyim(t), where yre(t) and yim(t) are real valued, then both yre(t) and yim(t) are solutions of the second-order equation.

Homework Equations

We can use the idea that a complex numbers is zero as long as it's real and imaginary parts are equal to zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not have an attempt at this solution. I do not know where to begin.

thanks for your help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Dusty912 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose y(t) is a complex-valued solution of y'' +py' + qy=0 where p and q are real numbers. Show that if y(t)=yre(t) + iyim(t), where yre(t) and yim(t) are real valued, then both yre(t) and yim(t) are solutions of the second-order equation.

Homework Equations

We can use the idea that a complex numbers is zero as long as it's real and imaginary parts are equal to zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not have an attempt at this solution. I do not know where to begin.

thanks for your help :)

Begin by plugging y(t)=yre(t) + iyim(t) into your DE and see what happens.

then I would get y''re(t) + py're(t) +qyre(t) +y''im(t) +py'im(t) +qyim(t)=0

so the real part would add up too zero and the imaginary part would add up to zero.

would this be correct?

Where'd the factor of ##i## go?

oops so it would be y''re(t) + py're(t) +qyre(t) +iy''im(t) +ipy'im(t) +iqyim(t)=0

lets take yre as a solution, y''re + py're+qyre=0
then take yim as a solution, y''im+py'im +qyim=0
the multiply with i both sides of the 2nd eqn,
i(y''im+py'im +qyim)=0

linear combination of particular solutions isalso a solution,

general solution y(t)=yre(t) + i yim(t)

Related to Complex-Valued Solutions of Second-Order Linear Equations

1. What is a second-order linear equation?

A second-order linear equation is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of a variable and can be written in the form of Ax'' + Bx' + Cx = F(x), where x is the independent variable and A, B, C, and F are constants.

2. How is a second-order linear equation different from a first-order linear equation?

A first-order linear equation only involves the first derivative of a variable, while a second-order linear equation involves the second derivative. This means that a second-order linear equation is more complex and can have a wider range of solutions.

3. What is the general solution to a second-order linear equation?

The general solution to a second-order linear equation can be written as x = c1e^(r1x) + c2e^(r2x), where r1 and r2 are the roots of the characteristic equation Ax'' + Bx' + Cx = 0 and c1 and c2 are arbitrary constants.

4. What is the characteristic equation in a second-order linear equation?

The characteristic equation in a second-order linear equation is a polynomial equation that is solved to find the roots, which are used to form the general solution. It is written as Ax^2 + Bx + C = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the second-order, first-order, and constant terms respectively.

5. How are second-order linear equations used in science?

Second-order linear equations are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to model real-world phenomena. They can be used to describe the motion of objects, the behavior of electrical circuits, and the dynamics of systems. Solving these equations allows scientists to make predictions and understand the underlying principles of natural processes.