Complex systems - how to start

In summary, complex systems are networks of interconnected parts that exhibit emergent behavior and require a multi-disciplinary approach to study. They have common characteristics such as non-linearity and self-organization, and understanding them can benefit society in various ways. However, there are challenges in studying and modeling complex systems, such as the vast amount of data and their dynamic nature.
albatros
Hello everyone,
I'm now 3rd (of 4) year on theoretical physics studies.

Recently I become very intersted in complex systems and complex networks.

Can anyone give me some hint how to start learning this, some books, online courses etc.?

Regards!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am sorry if this doesn't add anything to the discussion, but this is the most ironic book titles ever (and it may help, who knows)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 426

Related to Complex systems - how to start

1. What is a complex system?

A complex system is a network or collection of interconnected and interdependent parts that exhibit emergent behavior and have the ability to adapt and evolve. Examples of complex systems include ecosystems, economies, and social networks.

2. How do you approach studying complex systems?

The study of complex systems involves a multi-disciplinary approach that combines methods and tools from various fields such as mathematics, physics, biology, and computer science. It also requires a holistic perspective and understanding of the interactions between the different components of the system.

3. What are some common characteristics of complex systems?

Complex systems often exhibit non-linearity, feedback loops, and self-organization. They also have a high level of connectivity and interdependence between their components, making them difficult to predict and control.

4. How can understanding complex systems benefit society?

Understanding complex systems can help us better manage and make sense of the complex and interconnected world we live in. It can provide insights into how to solve complex problems and inform decision-making in various fields such as economics, healthcare, and environmental sustainability.

5. What are some challenges in studying and modeling complex systems?

One of the main challenges in studying complex systems is the sheer amount of data and variables involved, making it difficult to analyze and make sense of the system. Additionally, complex systems are often dynamic and constantly evolving, making it challenging to create accurate models that can predict their behavior.