Complex Polynomial of nth degree

In summary, to show that there exists a positive number R such that |P(z)| > |a_n||z|^n/2 for each value of z such that |z| > R, you can start by showing that for large enough z, |z|^n > |a_0| and then rewrite the equation with everything but a_n z^n on the left-hand side. This is because for large enough values of z, the polynomial term a_n z^n will dominate over all other terms in the polynomial.
Nathew

Homework Statement

Show that if
[tex]P(z)=a_0+a_1z+\cdots+a_nz^n[/tex]
is a polynomial of degree [itex]n[/itex] where [itex]n\geq1[/itex] then there exists some positive number [itex]R[/itex] such that
[tex]|P(z)|>\frac{|a_n||z|^n}{2}[/tex]
for each value of [itex]z[/itex] such that [itex]|z|>R[/itex]

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried dividing through by the nth power of z. That way I can somehow incorporate the R value somehow but I'm not exactly sure where to go from here.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nathew said:

Homework Statement

Show that if
[tex]P(z)=a_0+a_1z+\cdots+a_nz^n[/tex]
is a polynomial of degree [itex]n[/itex] where [itex]n\geq1[/itex] then there exists some positive number [itex]R[/itex] such that
[tex]|P(z)|>\frac{|a_n||z|^n}{2}[/tex]
for each value of [itex]z[/itex] such that [itex]|z|>R[/itex]

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried dividing through by the nth power of z. That way I can somehow incorporate the R value somehow but I'm not exactly sure where to go from here.

Thanks!

Maybe you could start by showing that for large enough z,

##|z|^n > |a_0|##

And, perhaps, rewrite the equation with everything but ##a_n z^n## on the LHS.

Can you see, without doing any algebra, why it's true?

Last edited:

Related to Complex Polynomial of nth degree

What is a complex polynomial of nth degree?

A complex polynomial of nth degree is a mathematical expression that contains a variable raised to various powers and multiplied by complex coefficients. The degree of the polynomial is determined by the highest power of the variable present in the expression.

What is the general form of a complex polynomial of nth degree?

The general form of a complex polynomial of nth degree is: anzn + an-1zn-1 + ... + a1z + a0, where a represents the complex coefficients and z is the variable.

What is the fundamental theorem of algebra?

The fundamental theorem of algebra states that any complex polynomial of nth degree has n complex roots, counting multiplicities. This means that the polynomial can be factored into n linear or quadratic factors, each with complex coefficients.

How are complex roots of a polynomial found?

Complex roots of a polynomial can be found by using the fundamental theorem of algebra and factoring the polynomial into its linear or quadratic factors. These factors can then be set equal to zero and solved for the roots, which will be complex numbers in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

What is the significance of complex polynomials in science?

Complex polynomials are used extensively in science, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to model and solve complex systems and equations, and are essential for understanding many natural phenomena. Additionally, complex polynomials have applications in signal processing, control systems, and data analysis.