Complex Number Question: Solving for Square Roots and Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the square roots of complex numbers and provides different methods for solving the given question. The first method involves converting the complex number into its polar form and using the pythagorean theorem. The second method involves squaring both sides and solving for the real and imaginary parts of the square root. Both methods require careful calculation and consideration.
jack1234
Hi, how to solve this question?

Find the square roots fo the complex number -40-42i.
Hence
(i) Find the square roots of the complex number 40+42i,
(ii) solve the equation (z+1)^2 + 160 + 168i = 0 for all complex roots.

I don't know how to start solving this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Jack,

do you know the following representation of a complex number [itex]z[/itex] in the complex plane?

[tex]z=x+iy=r(\cos\phi+i\,\sin\phi)=r e^{i\phi}[/tex]

Here's a sketch to clarify what [itex]r[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] are meant to be.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c2/Complex.png

Regards,

nazzard

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of useful formulas:

if
[tex]
K e^{i\psi} = a + ib \quad
then \quad
K = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2} \quad
\psi = tan^{-1} b/a \quad
[/tex]
That way you can convert from one form to another. Since taking a square root is easy in the alternative form, you should have no problem.

This is what nazzard said, but maybe in a manner that is a bit clearer to a beginner in complex numbers. It is really just the application of the pythagorean theorum to the chart above. Compare what I wrote to nazzard's picture. You'll see,

Tony

Last edited:
Thank you tony. I want to point out that one has to be very careful with using arctan to calculate [tex]\phi[/tex], the so called complex argument of z. Remember: case differentiation for different values of b and a (or y and x in my post).

Regards,

nazzard

Of course, there's a (possibly) more intuitive and direct way of doing it.

If sqrt(-40-42i) = (a+bi), then just solve for a and b by squaring both sides (you should be able to fnid two independent equations to break it up into)

Related to Complex Number Question: Solving for Square Roots and Equations

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They are typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part (with i representing the imaginary unit).

2. How do you solve for the square root of a complex number?

To solve for the square root of a complex number, you can use the formula √(a + bi) = ±(√(a) + √(bi)). First, find the square root of the real part (a) and the square root of the imaginary part (bi). Then, combine the results with the ± symbol to account for both the positive and negative solutions.

3. Can you simplify complex numbers?

Yes, complex numbers can be simplified by combining like terms and using basic algebraic operations. For example, if you have the complex number 3 + 2i + 5 + 4i, you can simplify it to 8 + 6i by combining the real parts (3 + 5 = 8) and the imaginary parts (2i + 4i = 6i).

4. How do you solve equations involving complex numbers?

To solve equations involving complex numbers, treat the complex numbers as you would regular algebraic variables. Use algebraic operations and properties to isolate the complex number on one side of the equation and solve for its value. Keep in mind that the solutions may be complex numbers themselves.

5. Can complex numbers be graphed on a traditional coordinate plane?

Yes, complex numbers can be graphed on a traditional coordinate plane by plotting the real part on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis. The resulting point will represent the complex number in the form (a, bi). However, it is important to note that the traditional coordinate plane only works for real numbers, so the graph may not accurately represent the properties of complex numbers.