Complex Number Help: Find x+yi for z1,z1z2,z1/z2

In summary: We find the conjugate of the first number by subtracting the conjugate of the second number from the first number:$$\overline{z_1\,z_2}=-15+165i=15-165i$$We then find the conjugate of the first number by adding the conjugate of the second number to the first number:$$\overline{z_1\,z_2}=15+165i=30+165i$$Finally, we divide the first number by the second number to get the result:$$z_1/z_2=30/165=1.5$$Thus, the
Kris1
z1 = −11+2 i and z2 = −1+13 i are given

I need to find the following in the form x + y i.

conjugate of z1 =

conjugate of z1z2=

z1/z2 =

a) how would i go about it
and
b) can someone provide the solutions to the questions if possible

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Kris said:

/z1 =

/z1z2=

z1/z2 =

and

a) first of all you have to rationalize the function \(\displaystyle 1/(x+iy)\)...that means you you should remove the i term from \(\displaystyle x+iy\) in the denominator ... do you now how to do that?...multiply it with \(\displaystyle x-iy\) and see the result

Kris said:

/z1 =

/z1z2=

z1/z2 =

and

The first two "things" you need to do are unreadable, please fix them.

Kris said:
I have got just got the solution to the third one. However i can't work out the solution to the first two conjugate equations. Can you provide the answer to the first one? or at least how to solve it

Assuming you mean $\frac{1}{z_1}$, multiply both sides of the fraction by the complex conjugate of the denominator $z_1$. This'll give you a real denominator and you can split the fraction into real and imaginary parts then.

Consider:

$$\frac{1}{x + iy} = \frac{1}{x + iy} \cdot \frac{x - iy}{x - iy} = \frac{x - iy}{(x + iy)(x - iy)} = \frac{x - iy}{x^2 + y^2} = \frac{x}{x^2 + y^2} - i \frac{y}{x^2 + y^2}$$

And $x^2 + y^2$ is real by definition. Does it make sense now?

Kris said:

conjugate of z1 =

conjugate of z1z2=

z1/z2 =

and

Now that you have made your questions readable, you should know that the conjugate of a complex number is defined as having the same real part and the negative imaginary part of the original complex number.

So u are saying that for the first one my answer should be -11+(-2*i)? is that what i am understanding?

Kris said:
So u are saying that for the first one my answer should be -11+(-2*i)? is that what i am understanding?

Yes :)

Prove It said:
Yes :)

i think answer is \(\displaystyle -11-2i\) divided by its modulus

mathworker said:
i think answer is \(\displaystyle -11-2i\) divided by its modulus

Well you think wrong. If \(\displaystyle \displaystyle z = x + i\,y \) then \(\displaystyle \bar{z} = x - i\,y \). You do not divide by its modulus.

You are instead thinking of finding a unit vector in the same direction as an original vector.

Prove It said:
Well you think wrong. If \(\displaystyle \displaystyle z = x + i\,y \) then \(\displaystyle \bar{z} = x - i\,y \). You do not divide by its modulus.

You are instead thinking of finding a unit vector in the same direction as an original vector.

sorry:eek:, i read the question as \(\displaystyle 1/z1\)

mathworker said:
sorry:eek:, i read the question as \(\displaystyle 1/z1\)

I hope I didn't offend you, it's not your fault that there were many interpretations of the original post :)

Kris said:

conjugate of z1 =

conjugate of z1z2=

z1/z2 =

and

I realize that with the other posts, this will be somewhat redundant, but I hope it will be useful nevertheless to have everything consolidated.

The Question:
Given the numbers $z_1 = -11 + 2i$ and $z_2 = -1 + 13i$, find:
i) the conjugate of $z_1$ (which I'll denote $\overline{z_1}$)
ii) $\overline{z_1 \, z_2}$
iii) $\overline{z_1/z_2}$

The Solution:

We begin by noting that for any complex number in the form $z=a+bi$, we may simply write $\overline{z}=a-bi$. Thus, the answer to i) is simply
$$\overline{z_1}=-11-2i$$
The second bit is a little trickier, because we have to multiply two complex numbers. There are different methods to use here, but I always prefer to "FOIL" it, that is, expand it as the usual product of binomials, remembering that $i^2=1$:
$$z_1\,z_2=(-11 + 2i)(-1 + 13i)=11-22i-143i+26i^2=11-26-22i-143i\\
=-15-165i$$
From there, it's easy to find the conjugate of the result:
$$\overline{z_1\,z_2}=-15+165i$$
See what I did there?
Another way we could have done this is by finding the conjugate of each number, then multiplying. In other words:
$$\overline{z_1\,z_2}=(\overline{z_1})(\overline{z_2})$$
As you will find out for problems more intricate than this, this becomes important later.

Part 3 is tricker still, because now we're dividing fractions. I'll make that its own post

Last edited:
Part 3:
We now need to find $z_1/z_2$. Because having a complex number in the denominator is tricky, we are going to rationalize it. That is, we write:
$$\frac{z_1}{z_2}
=\frac{z_1}{z_2}\cdot \frac{\overline{z_2}}{\overline{z_2}}
\\=\frac{z_1\,\overline{z_2}}{z_2\,\overline{z_2}}
\\=\frac{z_1\,\overline{z_2}}{\left| z_2 \right| ^2}$$
That is, in order to get rid of the complex number in the denominator, we multiply by the entire fraction by the conjugate of the denominator over itself. Since the product of any complex number with its conjugate yields the square of its modulus, we now have a real number in the denominator, making our lives much easier.

So, we have:
$$\frac{−11+2i }{−1+13i }
=\frac{−11+2i}{-1+13i}\cdot \frac{-1-13i}{-1-13i}
\\=\frac{(-11+2i)\,(-1-13i)}{(-1+13i)\,(-1-13i)}$$

From here, simply expand the product as we did before. You should end up with

$$=\frac{37+141i}{170}\\
=\frac{37}{170}+\frac{141}{170}i
$$

Now, we simply need to take the conjugate, so flip the second term to get
$$\overline{\left(\frac{z_1}{z_2}\right)}=
\frac{37}{170}-\frac{141}{170}i$$

Related to Complex Number Help: Find x+yi for z1,z1z2,z1/z2

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real and an imaginary part. It is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. What is the purpose of finding x+yi for z1,z1z2,z1/z2?

Finding x+yi for a complex number allows us to express it in its standard form, making it easier to perform operations and solve equations involving complex numbers. This is particularly useful in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

3. How do you find x+yi for z1?

To find x+yi for z1, you simply take the real part of z1 (a) and add it to the product of the imaginary part (b) and the imaginary unit (i). This gives us x+yi = a+bi.

4. What is the formula for finding x+yi for z1z2?

The formula for finding x+yi for z1z2 is (a1a2 - b1b2) + (a1b2 + a2b1)i, where a1 and b1 are the real and imaginary parts of z1, and a2 and b2 are the real and imaginary parts of z2.

5. How do you find x+yi for z1/z2?

To find x+yi for z1/z2, we first need to find the complex conjugate of z2 (flipping the sign of the imaginary part). Then, we multiply z1 by the complex conjugate of z2 and simplify to get the final answer in the form x+yi.