Complex number argument and module

In summary, to find the module and argument of z, we can use the property of complex numbers in polar form and simplify the equations. The module of z is calculated by taking the absolute value of each complex number and using the Pythagorean theorem. The argument can be found by expressing each complex number in polar form and using the properties of complex numbers in polar form to simplify the equation.
amiras

Homework Statement

[tex]z=\frac{(1-3i)^{100} * i * (7-5i)}{5+7i}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Find module and argument of z.

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming:

[tex]|z_1 * z_2| = |z_1||z_2|[/tex]

[tex]|z|=\frac{|1-3i|^{100} * |i| * |7-5i|}{|5+7i|}[/tex]

And now calculate each module individually by "Pythagoras theorems"

[tex]|z|=\frac{\sqrt{10}^{100} * 1 *\sqrt{74}}{\sqrt{74}}=10^{50}[/tex]And I do now know how to calculate argument now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could express each complex number in polar form and then simplify it using the properties of complex numbers expressed in polar form:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{r_1}cis({\theta _1}) \times {r_2}cis({\theta _2}) = {r_1}{r_2}cis({\theta _1} + {\theta _2})\\
{\left( {rcis(\theta )} \right)^n} = {r^n}cis(n\theta )
\end{array}[/tex]

Related to Complex number argument and module

What is the definition of complex number argument and module?

Complex number argument refers to the angle that a complex number makes with the positive real axis on the complex plane. The module, also known as the absolute value, of a complex number is its distance from the origin on the complex plane.

How do you represent complex number argument and module on the complex plane?

The complex number argument is represented by the angle, usually in radians, that the number makes with the positive real axis. The module is represented by the distance of the number from the origin on the complex plane.

What is the relationship between complex number argument and module?

The complex number argument and module are related through the polar form of a complex number. The module is the absolute value of the number, while the argument is the angle it makes with the positive real axis. Together, they can be used to find the rectangular form of a complex number.

How do you calculate the complex number argument and module?

The complex number argument can be calculated using the inverse tangent function, while the module can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. Alternatively, the polar form of a complex number can also be used to calculate the argument and module.

What is the significance of complex number argument and module in mathematics and science?

Complex number argument and module are important concepts in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are used to represent and manipulate complex numbers, which are essential in solving problems involving electrical circuits, waves, and quantum mechanics. They also have applications in signal processing, control systems, and computer graphics.