Complex Made Simple: Notation on Disks

• Thread starter BrainHurts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation discusses the notation for disks used by David Ullrich in his book "Complex Made Simple". The author defines open and closed disks with radius r using the notation D(z_0,r) and \bar{D}(z_0,r) respectively. The question arises about the meaning of \overline{D(z_0,r)}, which is clarified to be the topological closure of D(z_0,r). It is noted that \overline{D(z_0,r)} is equal to \overline{D}(z_0,r), although the book may prove this later. The conversation also touches on the choice of notation and its relation to theoretical ideas.
BrainHurts
Hello,

I'm reading "Complex Made Simple" by David Ullrich. He has these notation for disks

[itex] D(z_0,r) = \left\{ z \in \mathbb{C}: |z-z_0|< r \right\} [/itex]

[itex] \bar{D}(z_0,r) = \left\{ z \in \mathbb{C} : |z - z_0| \leq r \right\}[/itex]

I understand that these sets are to be the open and closed disks with radius r respectively.

The one I'm not sure about is what does [itex] \overline{D(z_0,r)} [/itex] mean? Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
That means the topological closure of the set [itex] D(z_0, r) [/itex]. It turns out to be equal to [itex] \overline{D}(z_0, r)[/itex] but they probably plan on proving that at some point.

Oh thanks so much! This book doesn't assume topology, but one thing I've always been confused on is that

if

[itex] \overline{D(z_0,r)} = D(z_0,r) \cup \bar{D}(z_0,r) [/itex],
why change the notation? I see you said that they turn out to be equal. Is this to specify a more theoretical idea than a practical idea?

Saying it a bit differently from O.Shredder, it is not immediate that what is called (kind of confusingly) a closed ball--your definition in the bottom --is not a closed set, and, like Office Shredder said, this will be proved at some later point in the book.

Hi there,

I can explain the notation for disks in a bit more detail. The notation D(z_0,r) represents an open disk centered at z_0 with radius r. This means that the set includes all points in the complex plane that are within a distance of r from the center point z_0, but does not include the boundary of the disk.

On the other hand, the notation \bar{D}(z_0,r) represents a closed disk, which includes the boundary of the disk as well. This means that the set includes all points in the complex plane that are within a distance of r from the center point z_0, including the points on the boundary.

Now, for the notation \overline{D(z_0,r)}, this represents the closure of an open disk. The closure of a set includes all the points in the set as well as its boundary. So, in this case, it would be the closed disk \bar{D}(z_0,r).

I hope this helps clarify the notation for you. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Related to Complex Made Simple: Notation on Disks

1. What is "Complex Made Simple: Notation on Disks"?

"Complex Made Simple: Notation on Disks" is a mathematical notation system that simplifies complex numbers and operations on them. It represents complex numbers using a combination of disks and arrows, making it easier to visualize and manipulate these numbers.

2. How does "Complex Made Simple: Notation on Disks" work?

This notation system uses disks to represent the real and imaginary parts of a complex number, with the radius of the disk representing the magnitude and the angle of the arrow representing the phase. These disks can then be manipulated using basic geometric operations to perform complex number operations.

3. What are the advantages of using "Complex Made Simple: Notation on Disks"?

"Complex Made Simple: Notation on Disks" offers a visual and intuitive way to understand and work with complex numbers. It eliminates the need for complicated algebraic expressions and reduces the chances of making errors in calculations. It also allows for a deeper understanding of complex numbers and their properties.

4. Can "Complex Made Simple: Notation on Disks" be used for all complex number operations?

Yes, this notation system can be used for all operations on complex numbers, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and even higher-level operations like exponentiation and logarithms.

5. Is "Complex Made Simple: Notation on Disks" used in any real-world applications?

While this notation system is not commonly used in everyday life, it has been used in some research and academic settings to simplify and visualize complex mathematical concepts. It can also be useful in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science, where complex numbers are commonly used.