Complex line integral over x + y = 1

In summary, the person is struggling with a problem involving Cauchy's theorem and is attempting to parametrize the curve. They are asking for advice and someone suggests using a different contour that intersects the original curve in two points and then follows about half of a circle. This can be solved using Cauchy's theorem and as the radius of the circle increases, the contribution of the circular part of the contour decreases.
Verdict

Homework Statement

jr5mqq.jpg

Homework Equations

I can't think of many to begin with. I've mainly been dealing with the simple forms of Cauchy's theorem so far, such as the Cauchy-Goursat theorem, and also Cauchy's integral formulas. However, these don't seem to have any direct implications here.

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, so I first used partial fraction expansion to rewrite the integral as
i/4 [integral over dz/(z+2i) - integral over dz/(z-2i)]
However, then I have to parametrize the curve. Now, I tried using z = x + iy, and then parametrising the curve so that x = 1 - y, but that doesn't really seem to be going anywhere. I also don't see how that relates to the hint, nor do I see a way to start solving the problem from the hint.

Could someone maybe provide me with a tip as to what I should be doing?

Thanks in advance,
Verdict

Physics news on Phys.org
Verdict said:

Homework Statement

jr5mqq.jpg

Homework Equations

I can't think of many to begin with. I've mainly been dealing with the simple forms of Cauchy's theorem so far, such as the Cauchy-Goursat theorem, and also Cauchy's integral formulas. However, these don't seem to have any direct implications here.

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, so I first used partial fraction expansion to rewrite the integral as
i/4 [integral over dz/(z+2i) - integral over dz/(z-2i)]
However, then I have to parametrize the curve. Now, I tried using z = x + iy, and then parametrising the curve so that x = 1 - y, but that doesn't really seem to be going anywhere. I also don't see how that relates to the hint, nor do I see a way to start solving the problem from the hint.

Could someone maybe provide me with a tip as to what I should be doing?

Thanks in advance,
Verdict

Think about a circle with large R centered on the origin. It will intersect your line C in two points. Now imagine a new contour that follows your line between the two intersection points, then follows about half the circle in a counterclockwise direction until it intersects the line again. Can you say what the integral is over that curve using a Cauchy theorem? Now imagine R goes to infinity. What can you say about the contribution of the circular part of the contour?

Last edited:

Related to Complex line integral over x + y = 1

1. What is a complex line integral?

A complex line integral is a mathematical concept that calculates the total value of a function along a curve in the complex plane. It is similar to a regular line integral, but the curve is defined in the complex plane instead of the real plane.

2. What is the equation for a complex line integral over x + y = 1?

The equation for a complex line integral over x + y = 1 is ∫f(z)dz, where z is any point on the curve x + y = 1 and f(z) is the function being integrated.

3. How is a complex line integral calculated?

A complex line integral is calculated by breaking down the curve into small segments, approximating the value of the function at each segment, and then summing up all the values. The smaller the segments, the more accurate the calculation will be.

4. What is the purpose of calculating a complex line integral?

The purpose of calculating a complex line integral is to find the total value of a function along a curve in the complex plane. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to solve problems involving complex functions or complex variables.

5. Are there any applications of complex line integrals in real life?

Yes, complex line integrals have various applications in real life. They are used in physics to calculate work done by a force field, in engineering to analyze the flow of fluids, and in mathematics to solve problems involving complex functions and variables.