Complex Integration: Is Path Dependent?

In summary, the conversation discusses the path dependence of the integral ∫z* dz, with z being a complex number and the integral being taken from the point (0,0) to (3,2) on the complex plane. The conversation explores different methods for solving the integral and ultimately concludes that it is path-dependent, with the suggestion to use Cauchy integral theorem for further understanding.
chill_factor

Homework Statement

Is the integral ∫z* dz from the point (0,0) to (3,2) on the complex plane path dependent?

Homework Equations

I = ∫ f(z)dz = ∫udx - vdy + i ∫ vdx + udy

z = x-iy, u = x, v = -y

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to start. The methods given in the book and from real line integrals don't seem to apply here. For example the book recommends, for real line integrals, to substitute y = x so that it reduces to a single integral. For complex integrals, it is recommended to parameterize f(z) into a f(z(t)) and reduce it to a single integration.

I've tried z = re^iθ, so dz = r*i*e^iθ dθ + e^iθ dr, now how do I reduce this to a single integration?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't reduce it to a integration with respect to some parameter t until you choose a path between the two points.

vela said:
You can't reduce it to a integration with respect to some parameter t until you choose a path between the two points.

Ok, thank you. I think now I figured the strategy out. Instead of trying to prove it in general that it depends on r, it could be better to select 2 arbitrary paths that are easy to compute: a straight line from 0,0 to the point, and the piecewise path of 2 line segments parallel to their respective axes.

In this case, that is sufficient: as you correctly guessed, the integral is path-dependent. You might want to wonder why this is the case. Cauchy integral theorem will be helpful here.

Related to Complex Integration: Is Path Dependent?

What is complex integration?

Complex integration is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the integral of a function along a path in the complex plane.

What does it mean for complex integration to be path dependent?

Path dependence means that the value of the integral can vary depending on the path chosen for integration. In other words, the result of the integration will be different if the path is changed, even if the starting and ending points are the same.

Why is complex integration path dependent?

Complex integration is path dependent because the complex plane is not simply connected, meaning that there are paths that cannot be continuously deformed into a single point. As a result, the value of the integral can be affected by the specific path chosen.

What is the difference between a closed path and an open path in complex integration?

A closed path is a path that begins and ends at the same point, while an open path starts and ends at different points. Closed paths are typically used in complex integration because they allow for simpler calculations and are not affected by the starting and ending points.

How is complex integration used in science and mathematics?

Complex integration is a fundamental tool in many areas of science and mathematics, including physics, engineering, and statistics. It is used to solve a wide range of problems, such as calculating electric and magnetic fields, finding areas and volumes of complex shapes, and evaluating complex integrals in statistics and probability theory.