Complex Inequality Expression (Independent Study)

In summary, the problem is to find a value for x greater than 3 that satisfies ln(x)<x^0.1. The hint suggests that the number is "huge". The conversation discusses the various methods used to solve this problem and the possible solutions, including 3.01 and 4^26. The use of other algebraic manipulations and the function h(x) = f(x) - g(x) is also mentioned. Additionally, the possibility of using the function ln(x) = 2coth^(-1)((1+x)/(x-1)) is brought up. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that a numerical method is needed to find the exact solution, which is approximately 3.430631121*101
IWhitematter
While this is not technically an assignment for any particular class (that I'm aware of, at least), I think the nature of this problem makes it suitable for this forum. Please, inform me if I should direct my question elsewhere.

Find x>3 such that ln(x)<x^0.1 (hint: The number is "huge")

At first, I disregarded the hint and picked 3.01, which is a solution, as are an infinite amount of values approaching 3.01. I then rewrote the given relation as 1<e^x^.1/x. After spending a page worth of paper on other algebraic manipulations with no direction, I started to half-guess and came up with 4^26. There are obviously infinite solution possibilities and although I did technically solve this problem, I would like to know how to create an expression that produces the solutions for x to the given inequalities.

I have searched google for the problem and found a variety of responses (and solutions) similar to both of my answers (that is, either very large or near 3.01 to several hundredths or less), however there do not appear to be any sufficiently thorough explanations.

Also note: ln(x) = 2coth^(-1)((1+x)/(x-1)), which may or may not be useful in this scenario.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you know that any positive power of x will eventually become larger than ln(x). If you call f(x) = ln(x) and g(x) = x1/10, consider h(x) = f(x) - g(x).

Then

[tex]h'(x) = \frac 1 x - \frac 1 {10x^{\frac {9} {10}}}[/tex]

This is obviously 0 when x = 1010. That is where h(x) is as large as it gets and it will decrease thereafter. You need some numerical method to actually find where the curves cross after that. Maple gives 3.430631121*1015.

Related to Complex Inequality Expression (Independent Study)

1. What is a complex inequality expression?

A complex inequality expression is a mathematical statement that includes two or more inequality symbols, such as x < 5 and x ≥ -3. It is used to compare two quantities and determine the relationship between them.

2. How is a complex inequality expression solved?

A complex inequality expression is solved by using the same rules as solving a regular inequality, such as isolating the variable on one side and keeping the inequality sign pointing in the same direction. However, since there are multiple inequality symbols, the solution may be a range of values rather than a single number.

3. What is the purpose of studying complex inequality expressions?

Studying complex inequality expressions helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also allows for a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts, as well as their applications in real-world situations such as economics and statistics.

4. Can complex inequality expressions be graphed?

Yes, complex inequality expressions can be graphed on a number line or on a coordinate plane. The graph represents the solution set of the inequality and can help visualize the relationship between the quantities being compared.

5. Are there any special rules for solving complex inequality expressions?

Yes, there are a few special rules to keep in mind when solving complex inequality expressions. For example, when multiplying or dividing both sides by a negative number, the direction of the inequality symbol must be flipped. Also, when multiplying or dividing by a variable, the direction of the inequality may need to be changed depending on the value of the variable.