Why Does exp(-z^2) Approach Zero in Certain Sectors?

In summary, the statement in Hinch's book states that in order for exp(-z^2) to approach 0 as z approaches infinity, z must be kept in the sector where |arg z| < pi/4. This is due to the behavior of the exponential function in different sectors of the complex plane, where it is dependent on the magnitude of Re(e^{2i\theta}) from polar coordinates.
liyz06

Homework Statement

Reading Hinch's book, there is a statement as follows:

... z need to be kept in the sector where exp(-z^2) ->0 as z -> infinity. Thus it's applicable to the sector |arg z|<pi/4...

Homework Equations

Why is this true and what is the limiting behavior of exp(x) for x in different sectors of the complex plane?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Let z=x+iy. Suppose you take the limit along the line x=0. What happens?

vela said:
Let z=x+iy. Suppose you take the limit along the line x=0. What happens?

I get it now, use polar coordinate then it's [itex]z=\rho e ^{i\theta} \Rightarrow e^{-z^2}=e^{-\rho^2e^{2i\theta}}[/itex], the magnitude is really dependent on [itex]Re(e^{2i\theta})=\cos 2\theta>0[/itex], and that's where the [itex]|arg(z)|<\pi/4[/itex] from

Last edited:

Related to Why Does exp(-z^2) Approach Zero in Certain Sectors?

What is a complex exponential function?

A complex exponential function is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = ex, where the base e is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.718, and x is a complex number.

What is the relationship between a complex exponential function and a regular exponential function?

A complex exponential function is an extension of a regular exponential function, which only allows for real numbers as the exponent. A complex exponential function allows for complex numbers as the exponent, resulting in a more general and versatile function.

What are some common applications of complex exponential functions?

Complex exponential functions are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and signal processing. They are particularly useful in analyzing systems with oscillating behaviors, such as electrical circuits and sound waves.

How do I graph a complex exponential function?

To graph a complex exponential function, you will need to plot points on a complex plane. The real part of the complex number will correspond to the horizontal axis, and the imaginary part will correspond to the vertical axis. The resulting graph will be a spiral shape, also known as a "phased spiral".

What is the relationship between complex exponential functions and complex logarithmic functions?

Complex logarithmic functions are the inverse of complex exponential functions. In other words, if f(x) = ex, then the inverse function is given by f-1(x) = ln(x), where ln is the natural logarithm. This relationship is similar to the relationship between regular exponential and logarithmic functions.