Complex Conjugate Vector Space

In summary: If you have ## f(-x)= g(x)+ h(x)i ## and ## f'(x) = g'(x)+ h'(x)i ## you still wind up with something with an imaginary part when you add them.
dkotschessaa
I'm confused about some of the notation in Hoffman & Kunze Linear Algebra.

Let V be the set of all complex valued functions f on the real line such that (for all t in R)

[itex] f(-t) = \overline{f(t)}[/itex] where the bar denotes complex conjugation.

Show that V with the operations (f+g)(t) = f(t) + g(t)
(cf)(t) = cf(t) is a vector space over the field of real numbers. Give an example of a function in V which is not real valued.
Before I can even approach the question I need to clarify what is happening here.

I'm not sure why it is written as ##f(-t) = \overline{f(t)} ##

Am I correct that ## f(a) = a - 0i = a ## (since a is real).
## f(-a) ## would be ## a + 0i = a ##

Obviously I have some confusion here.

Also, with the addition properties given above, would I not have:

## (f+g)(t) = f(t) + g(t) = \overline{f(-t)} + \overline{g(-t)} ##

In particular I am confused when I try to show closure under the real numbers. since ##(a_{1} + b_{1}i) + (a_{2} + b_{2}i)## gives me (I think) something like ## a_{1} + a_{2} + (b_{1} + b_{2})i ##Unless I'm supposed to be adding something to it's OWN conjugation, in which case the imaginary part would cancel, which would be nice. Is that what I am supposed to do?

Appreciate any help

-Dave K

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dkotschessaa said:
I'm confused about some of the notation in Hoffman & Kunze Linear Algebra.

Let V be the set of all complex valued functions f on the real line such that (for all t in R)

[itex] f(-t) = \overline{f(t)}[/itex] where the bar denotes complex conjugation.

Show that V with the operations (f+g)(t) = f(t) + g(t)
(cf)(t) = cf(t) is a vector space over the field of real numbers. Give an example of a function in V which is not real valued.

Before I can even approach the question I need to clarify what is happening here.

I'm not sure why it is written as ##f(-t) = \overline{f(t)} ##

Am I correct that ## f(a) = a - 0i = a ## (since a is real).
## f(-a) ## would be ## a + 0i = a ##
No, you are not correct. If f(x) is NOT necessarily equal to x! For any real x, f(x) is some complex number depending upon x. It might be, for example, f(x)= xi or [itex]f(x)= 3x- x^3i[/itex]. More generally, f(x)= g(x)+ h(x)i where g and h are real valued functions of x.

The requirement that [itex]f(-t)= \overline{f(t)}[/itex] means that g(-t)= g(t) and h(-t)= -h(t). That is, g is an "even" function and h is an "odd" function.

Obviously I have some confusion here.

Also, with the addition properties given above, would I not have:

## (f+g)(t) = f(t) + g(t) = \overline{f(-t)} + \overline{g(-t)} ##

In particular I am confused when I try to show closure under the real numbers. since ##(a_{1} + b_{1}i( + (a_{2} + b_{2}i)## gives me (I think) something like ## a_{1} + a_{2} + (b_{1} + b_{2})i ##

Unless I'm supposed to be adding something to it's OWN conjugation, in which case the imaginary part would cancel, which would be nice. Is that what I am supposed to do?

Appreciate any help

-Dave K

HallsofIvy said:
No, you are not correct. If f(x) is NOT necessarily equal to x! For any real x, f(x) is some complex number depending upon x. It might be, for example, f(x)= xi or [itex]f(x)= 3x- x^3i[/itex]. More generally, f(x)= g(x)+ h(x)i where g and h are real valued functions of x.

I meant that if a is just some integer, for example. What is f(a)? a = a + 0i, whose conjugate is a = 0i,which is a. Perhaps my thinking is not function-oriented enough here.

The requirement that [itex]f(-t)= \overline{f(t)}[/itex] means that g(-t)= g(t) and h(-t)= -h(t). That is, g is an "even" function and h is an "odd" function.

That sheds a bit more light, but I'm still confused about closure.

If I have ## f(-x)= g(x)+ h(x)i ## and ## f'(x) = g'(x)+ h'(x)i ## I still wind up with something with an imaginary part when I add them.

-Dave K

Am I only taking the conjugate when I have ## f(-t) ## and not when I have just ## f(t) ## as is originally defined? i.e. ## f(-t) = \overline{f(t)} ## but ## f(t) = f(t) ## (not conjugated)?

Related to Complex Conjugate Vector Space

What is a complex conjugate vector space?

A complex conjugate vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of complex numbers and a set of vectors. The complex numbers are used to represent the scalars of the vector space, while the vectors are used to represent the basis of the space. The complex conjugate vector space is an extension of the real vector space, where the vectors can have complex components.

What is the significance of the complex conjugate vector space?

The complex conjugate vector space is significant in many areas of mathematics, such as linear algebra, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. It allows for the representation of complex-valued problems and enables the use of complex numbers in vector calculations.

How is the inner product defined in a complex conjugate vector space?

The inner product in a complex conjugate vector space is defined as the conjugate transpose of one vector multiplied by the other vector. This means that the complex conjugate of the first vector is taken, and then the two vectors are multiplied and summed together. The result is a complex number that represents the inner product of the two vectors.

What is the role of the complex conjugate in a complex conjugate vector space?

The complex conjugate plays a crucial role in a complex conjugate vector space. It is used to define the inner product, and it also allows for the orthogonality of vectors in the space. Additionally, it is used in the definition of complex conjugate linear transformations, which are essential in many applications of the complex conjugate vector space.

How does the complex conjugate vector space differ from a real vector space?

The complex conjugate vector space differs from a real vector space in that it allows for the use of complex numbers in vector calculations. In a real vector space, the scalars and vectors are limited to real numbers only. Additionally, the inner product in a complex conjugate vector space is defined differently from the inner product in a real vector space, as the complex conjugate of one vector is involved in the calculation.