Complex Conjugate of Fourier Transform

In summary, the complex conjugate of the wavefunction can be written as a Fourier transform in terms of momentum basis states, similar to the transform of the original wavefunction. This can be shown by using the distributivity property and the fact that Fourier transforms always come in pairs.
Epoch12000BC
Hello All,

As I understand it, the wavefunction Psi(x) can be written as a sum of all the particle's momentum basis states (which is the Fourier transform of Psi(x)). I was woundering if the wavefunction's complex conjugate Psi*(x) can be written out in terms of momentum basis states, similar to the transform of Psi(x), and if so, what form would it take in order to make make the probability density of Psi(x)Psi*(x) the correct real-valued number.

In other words, if both Psi(x) and Psi*(x) were written out in their Fourier transform forms, and multiplied together in these forms, what would the transform of Psi*(x) look like?

Any insight into this would be greatly appriciated.

-Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
No magic here. If
[tex]\psi(x)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int\!dk\, \psi(k) e^{\frac{i k x}{\hbar}[/tex],
then
[tex]\psi^*(x)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int\!dk\, \psi^*(k) e^{\frac{-i k x}{\hbar}[/tex],

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, lbrits!

I figured the complex conjugate would involve making negative all the imaginary parts of the transform, but it seemed like doing the ol' FOIL method when multiplying Psi(x) and Psi*(x) would result in a number that would generally be complex, not the real number that the probability density should be. I guess I'm a bit rusty on my math :-)

Thanks again for the help,
-droo

Yeah I was a bit rusty on the whole distributivity property of products over sums. Anyway, things are quite forgiving:
[tex]\psi^*(x) \psi(x) = \frac{1}{2\pi \hbar} \int\!dk\,dq\, \psi^*(k) \psi(q) e^{i (k-q)x/hbar}[/tex]
I believe you can show this to be the Fourier transform of [tex]f(k) = \int\!dq\, \psi^*(k) \psi(k-q)[/tex], and to show that the thing is real, is to remember that in the Fourier transform things always come in pairs, one multiplied by [tex]e^{ikx}[/tex] and one by [tex]e^{-ikx}[/tex]. The previous expression exhibits a symmetry under k -> -k.

Related to Complex Conjugate of Fourier Transform

What is the complex conjugate of the Fourier Transform?

The complex conjugate of the Fourier Transform is defined as the mirrored version of the original function in the complex plane. It is obtained by taking the complex conjugate of each coefficient in the Fourier series of the original function.

What is the significance of the complex conjugate in the Fourier Transform?

The complex conjugate is important in the Fourier Transform because it allows us to represent real-valued functions in the complex plane. This makes it easier to perform mathematical operations and make predictions about the behavior of the original function.

How is the complex conjugate related to symmetry in the Fourier Transform?

The complex conjugate of the Fourier Transform is closely related to the symmetry of the original function. A real-valued function with even symmetry will have a complex conjugate that is also even, while a function with odd symmetry will have a complex conjugate that is odd.

Can the complex conjugate of the Fourier Transform be used for practical applications?

Yes, the complex conjugate of the Fourier Transform has many practical applications in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and data compression. It allows us to manipulate and analyze real-world signals and data in a more efficient and accurate manner.

How is the complex conjugate of the Fourier Transform calculated?

The complex conjugate of the Fourier Transform can be calculated by taking the complex conjugate of each coefficient in the Fourier series of the original function. This can be done by changing the sign of the imaginary component of each coefficient.