Complex Analysis => Fluid Flow

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the complex velocity potential, \Omega(z), defined implicitly by z = \Omega + e^{\Omega}, which corresponds to a type of fluid flow. The background equations for \Omega are also mentioned, and the individual components of \Omega, \Phi and \Psi, are defined. The individual is seeking help with finding a strategy or approach for solving for \Omega explicitly, and suggests using a power series expansion to do so. However, the conversation ends with uncertainty about whether this approach will work.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm struggling with this question right now:

Let the complex velocity potential [itex] \Omega(z) [/itex] be defined implicitly by

[tex] z = \Omega + e^{\Omega} [/tex]

Show that this map corresponds to (some kind of fluid flow, shown in a diagram, not important).

For background,

[tex] \Omega = \Phi + i\Psi [/tex]

where Phi is the velocity potential:

[tex] \mathbf{v} = \nabla\Phi [/tex]

and Psi is the harmonic conjugate of Phi (therefore it is the streamfunction of the fluid flow.

My first thought was that I need to find the level curves of the streamfunction in order to find out what kind of flow this is. But before I can do that, I need to solve for Omega explicitly. THAT's where I'm stumped. Any suggestions on a strategy or approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you can perhaps find a power series expansion for [itex]\Omega[/itex]. You have:

[tex]I = (I + \exp)\circ\Omega[/tex]

[tex](I + \exp)^{-1} = \Omega[/tex]

I think the best way to compute the left side is to look at the power series expansion of

[tex]\frac{1}{1 - x}[/tex]

where x is replaced with -exp. I can't think of a way to get a closed form solution out of this, but at least it will give you something to work with, hopefully enough to prove the other things you need to prove. Note given any thing like Z = X + iY, it's easy to express Y solely in terms if Z, and similarly X only in terms of Z

X = (Z + Z*)/2

Where Z* is the complex conjugate of Z.

Last edited:
AKG said:
Well, you can perhaps find a power series expansion for [itex]\Omega[/itex]. You have:

[tex]I = (I + \exp)\circ\Omega[/tex]

I'm really not sure what's going on here.

Sorry, I is the identity function. The left is I, so I(z) = z. The right is (I + exp)oQ, so

[(I + exp)oQ](z)
= (I + exp)(Q(z))
= I(Q(z)) + exp(Q(z))
= Q(z) + exp(Q(z))

I'm using Q for [itex]\Omega[/itex]. Anyways, I don't think the thing I suggested will work...

Related to Complex Analysis => Fluid Flow

1. What is complex analysis and how is it related to fluid flow?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of complex variables. It is used to study the behavior of functions that map complex numbers to other complex numbers. In fluid dynamics, complex analysis is used to analyze the behavior of fluids, which can be modeled as complex functions.

2. How is the Navier-Stokes equation used in complex analysis for fluid flow?

The Navier-Stokes equation is a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of fluid flow. In complex analysis, these equations are used to model the behavior of fluids as complex functions, which allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the flow behavior.

3. Can complex analysis be used to analyze turbulent flow?

Yes, complex analysis can be used to analyze turbulent flow. The complex analysis of turbulent flow involves studying the behavior of fluid flow at high Reynolds numbers, which is not possible using traditional methods.

4. What are some applications of complex analysis in fluid flow?

Complex analysis has many applications in fluid flow, including aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and heat transfer. It is also used in the design of aircraft, ships, and other vehicles that move through fluids.

5. How does complex analysis help in the design of fluid flow systems?

Complex analysis helps in the design of fluid flow systems by providing a better understanding of the behavior of fluids. This allows engineers to optimize the design of fluid flow systems for maximum efficiency and performance.