Complex analysis - Cauchy Theorem

In summary, the question involves finding the integral of a function with a complex variable and a complex exponent, where the function is divided by a complex exponential term. The suggested method is to use the Cauchy integral formula and determine which terms in the function are singular inside the unit circle. This will result in some terms having a zero integral, leading to a solution of zero for the entire integral.
ElDavidas
Hi again. Can somebody help me out with this question?

"[tex]\int_{C_1(0)} \frac {e^{z^n + z^{n-1}+...+ z + 1}} {e^{z^2}} \,dz[/tex]

Where [itex]C_r(p)[/itex] is a circle with centre p and radius r, traced anticlockwise."

I'd be guessing that you have to compare this integral with the Cauchy integral formula. I have no idea how to go about doing this though!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid you are going to have to explain what those "zn", "zn-1", etc. mean. Are those powers of z: "zn", "zn-1", etc.?
Oh, and is that "z" supposed to be ez?
That is, do you mean:
[tex]\int_{C_1(0)} \frac {e^{z^n} + e^{z^{n-1}}+...+ e^z + 1} {e^{z^2}} \,dz[/tex]
(Click on that to see the code and note, especially my use of "{ }".)

Since, looking at your LaTex code, it is clear that is what you mean, here is how I would do it: Go ahead and divide each term by [itex]e^{z^2}[/itex]:
[tex]\int_{C_1(0)} \left({e^{z^{n-1}} + e^z^{n-3}+...+ e^{z^{-1}} + e^{-2}}\right)dz[/tex]

Now, which of those, if any, are singular inside C1(0)?

I assure you, this is what it says in the question:

[tex]\int_{C_1(0)} \frac {e^{z^n + z^{n-1}+...+ z + 1}} {e^{z^2}} \,dz[/tex]

Unless my lecturer made a mistake in printing the question. I doubt it though.

I think you're supposed to look at it as [itex]e^w[/itex] where [itex] w = z^n + z^{n-1}+...+ z + 1[/itex]

I suppose you could use the rule [itex] e^{a+b} = e^a * e^b [/itex] to try and start sorting this out.

Last edited:
Well, okay, then, do what I suggested with that integrand and you get
[tex]\int_{C_1(0)}\left(e^{z^{n-2}}+ e^{z^{n-3}}+ ...+ ze^{-2z}+ e^{-2z}\right)dz[/tex]
Once again, which of those, if any, are singular inside the unit circle? Those that are not singular (the exponent of e is greater not negative) will give 0 integral. For those that are, you might try writing [itex]z= e^{i\theta}[/itex] and integrating from [itex]\theta= 0 to 2\pi[/itex].

No, he gets

[tex]e^{z^n} \cdot e^{z^{n-1}} \cdot \ldots
\cdot e^{z^3} \cdot e^{z^1} \cdot e^{z^0}[/tex]

Last edited:
Hey, just because I can't do arithmetic!

Would I be right in saying that the answer is just zero?

I'm guessing this is because all the exponential powers are positive and so Cauchy's Theorem applies?

Related to Complex analysis - Cauchy Theorem

1. What is the Cauchy Theorem in complex analysis?

The Cauchy Theorem, also known as Cauchy's Integral Theorem, states that if a function is analytic within a closed contour, then the integral of that function along the contour is equal to the sum of all the residues inside the contour.

2. How is the Cauchy Theorem used in complex analysis?

The Cauchy Theorem is used to evaluate integrals of complex functions that are not easily computed using traditional methods. It is particularly useful in solving problems related to complex contour integrals and residues.

3. What is a residue in complex analysis?

A residue is the value of a complex function at a singular point. In other words, it is the coefficient of the term with the highest negative power in the Laurent series expansion of the function at that point.

4. How is the Cauchy Theorem related to the Cauchy Residue Theorem?

The Cauchy Theorem is a special case of the Cauchy Residue Theorem, which states that the integral of a function over a closed contour is equal to the sum of all the residues inside the contour. The Cauchy Theorem is applied when the function is analytic on the entire contour, while the Cauchy Residue Theorem is more general and applies to functions with isolated singularities.

5. What are some applications of the Cauchy Theorem?

The Cauchy Theorem has many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to solve problems related to complex integrals, such as calculating work done by a force field, finding the average value of a function, and solving differential equations. It also has applications in signal processing, image processing, and control systems.