Complex algebra problem (roots)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the roots of the expression z^4 + 4 = 0 and using it to factorize z^4 + 4 into quadratic factors with real coefficients. The solution involves using Euler's identity and trigonometry to determine the four 4th roots of -1, which can then be used to find the four 4th roots of -4.
Remixex

Homework Statement

First off i wasn't sure if i should put this in precalc or here so i just tossed a coin[/B]
I must find the roots of the expression z^4 +4=0 (which I've seen repeatedly on the internet)
Use it to factorize z^4 +4 into quadratic factors with real coefficients
The answer is (z^2 + 2z + 2)(z^2 - 2z + 2)

Homework Equations

Just the one given on the top

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so, the question is quite basic as I've seen people pull it off in 10 mins, BUT after 3 semesters of dealing with only real numbers i forgot about complex ones, and now that i took complex analysis I'm in trouble D:
First off i had to search Euler's identity, that's how lost i was
I managed to establish that the magnitude of Z (r) is sqrt(2), i also got to the point where phi is -pi/4 +k*pi/2
so the 4 roots would be given by the sqrt(2) * e^i*phi given k takes the values within (0,1,2,3)
This is where i die i have no idea how to turn those into the final equation, i know the 4 solutions are
(+/-)1 (+/-)i, and from there is just polynomial algebra, but i don't know how to get there, Am i supposed to be able to deduct this as obvious from my last step?
Thanks in advance, i firmly believe there are no such thing as dumb questions, but given this is something I'm supposed to manage, it's quite the candidate :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Remixex said:

Homework Statement

First off i wasn't sure if i should put this in precalc or here so i just tossed a coin[/B]
I must find the roots of the expression z^4 +4=0 (which I've seen repeatedly on the internet)
Use it to factorize z^4 +4 into quadratic factors with real coefficients
The answer is (z^2 + 2z + 2)(z^2 - 2z + 2)

Homework Equations

Just the one given on the top

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so, the question is quite basic as I've seen people pull it off in 10 mins, BUT after 3 semesters of dealing with only real numbers i forgot about complex ones, and now that i took complex analysis I'm in trouble D:
First off i had to search Euler's identity, that's how lost i was
I managed to establish that the magnitude of Z (r) is sqrt(2), i also got to the point where phi is -pi/4 +k*pi/2
so the 4 roots would be given by the sqrt(2) * e^i*phi given k takes the values within (0,1,2,3)
This is where i die i have no idea how to turn those into the final equation, i know the 4 solutions are
(+/-)1 (+/-)i, and from there is just polynomial algebra, but i don't know how to get there, Am i supposed to be able to deduct this as obvious from my last step?
Thanks in advance, i firmly believe there are no such thing as dumb questions, but given this is something I'm supposed to manage, it's quite the candidate :D

You can write ##-1## as
[tex] -1 = e^{i \pi} = e^{3 i \pi} = e^{-i \pi} = e^{-3 i \pi},[/tex]
so the four 4th roots of ##-1## are obtained by taking 1/4 of the argument of each of the above. That is, the four roots ##r_1,r_2,r_3,r_4## are
[tex]
r_1 = e^{i \pi/4} = (1+i)/ \sqrt{2}, \; r_2 = e^{i 3 \pi/4} = (-1 + i)/ \sqrt{2} \\
r_3 = e^{-i \pi/4} = (1-i)/ \sqrt{2}, \; r_4 = e^{-i 3 \pi/4} = (-1-i)/ \sqrt{2} [/tex]
From these you can determine the four 4th roots of ##-4##.

Note that ##e^{i \theta} = \cos(\theta) + i \sin(\theta)##, so we can easily write the four roots in ##a + ib## form, just using elementary geometry/trigonometry.

Related to Complex algebra problem (roots)

What is a complex algebra problem?

A complex algebra problem involves solving equations that contain complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. These problems typically require the use of complex algebra techniques such as finding roots and simplifying expressions.

What are roots in complex algebra?

Roots in complex algebra refer to the solutions of an equation that make the equation true when substituted back in. In other words, they are the values of the variable that satisfy the equation. Complex algebra problems may have multiple roots, both real and imaginary.

How do I find the roots of a complex algebra problem?

To find the roots of a complex algebra problem, you can use the quadratic formula or, for higher degree equations, use the rational root theorem or synthetic division. You can also use graphing techniques to estimate the roots visually.

What are the common mistakes made when solving complex algebra problems?

Some common mistakes when solving complex algebra problems include not properly simplifying expressions, misapplying the quadratic formula, and forgetting to include all possible roots (both real and imaginary).

How can I improve my skills in solving complex algebra problems?

To improve your skills in solving complex algebra problems, it is important to practice regularly and review the basic principles and techniques. It can also be helpful to seek assistance from a tutor or teacher when encountering difficult problems. Additionally, utilizing online resources and textbooks can provide additional practice and guidance.