Completing the circuit in power lines

In summary, three phase power is used to distribute AC power. No neutral is needed because the current flows in a sinewave and the potential difference between the two wires is greater than the potential between the ground and any of the wires.
infomike
I am having trouble understanding how a circuit is completed from the AC power plants over the high voltage power lines. In order for current to flow there must be a "neutral" conductor. I can only conclude that the ground is used somehow to make this current flow. In contrast, the wires attached to homes always include a neutral wire.

Physics news on Phys.org
No neutral needed. Three phase is used for distribution. The 3 phase wires carry the current.

The Earth is used for lightning protection and safety. Every so many feet a stake is driven into Earth and connected to the neutral line. This keeps the lines at a known potential wrt earth, and the wires above the hot wires are grounded and provide a path for lightning strokes.

Did this help.

Claude

But why is no neutral needed? For current to flow you must have a difference in potential between two points, no? The three phase wires are all at the same potential as compared to the ground.

infomike said:
But why is no neutral needed? For current to flow you must have a difference in potential between two points, no? The three phase wires are all at the same potential as compared to the ground.

Not at the same time. The potentials will be proportional to: sin(wT), sin(wT+120) and sin(wT+240)

infomike said:
The potential difference between any two of the 3-phase conductors is a sinewave, it's amplitude is 73% greater than the potential between any of the conductors and earth.

I understand that the 3 lines are out of phase, but how does that negate the need for a neutral or grounded wire so that current can flow in any of the wires?

For a 3 wire system, the sum of the currents in all 3 wires is ... ZERO! So there's no need for a 4th wire to allow return current, because there isn't any excess current needing a return path. :cool:

Maybe I don't understand how a 3 phase generator works, but it would appear that somehow the 3 wires are connected so that current flows? Otherwise, I don't understand how the 3 phase wires interact to carry current.

The animation in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_electric_power might help.
There red green and blue arrows represent three alternating currents with different phase angles. The sum of the currents where the three phases are connected is always zero. Joining those two points with a fourth "neutral" wire would not make any difference.

In 3 phase systems, the objective is to minimize the amount of wire needed. A 3-phase system transmits a given power with only 75% of the wire area compared with 1-phase systems. The transformers used are connected in Y as well as delta configurations. A Y gives a neutral point ideal for grounding, providing lightning protection and safety. A delta allows the use of only 3 wires even when load currents are unbalanced. As long as all transformers have at least 1 winding connected in delta, the phase voltages stay balanced even when the load currents are severely unbalanced.

In the case of a 3-phase core type transformer, where a 3-legged E core has all 3 phases wound on it, a delta is not needed, phases stay balanced without a delta and without a neutral wire. The theory behind this can be found in any good power systems reference book. It takes time and studying to extend one's thinking from single to 3 phase. It is fascinating to say the least.

Claude

Last edited:
You guys certainly helped me finally realize that the key to understanding this topic was 3 phase power. It took me awhile to study this, but I think I'm getting it!

Now I have to apply my new understanding to figuring out how this relates to the transformers on the poles and in substations.

So if the 3-phase wires carry the current, where are they connected together? Is it at the sub-station transformer? If so, are they connected by wye or delta?

Either or. Sometimes it's a Y, other times a delta. To understand this, I recommend a good book on power systems. "Electric Machinery" by Fitzgerald, Kingsley, & Umans is a good start. I had Dr. Umans for a power class for my Ph.D. requirements spring 2010. He's very good. I would search through the book web sites like Ama***, etc. for good power erferences if you wish to buy a book. If not, check a good library. A uni library especially, can be a good source for reference books.

Over the web on forums like this it's hard to explain 3-phase in a few paragraphs. Just remember that this subject has been analyzed to the point of exhaustion. No mysteries here. The research started in the late 1800's and wrapped up by the 1920's. Anyway I would advise you to check it out if you need to know about 3 phase.

Claude

cabraham said:
Either or. Sometimes it's a Y, other times a delta. To understand this, I recommend a good book on power systems. "Electric Machinery" by Fitzgerald, Kingsley, & Umans is a good start. I had Dr. Umans for a power class for my Ph.D. requirements spring 2010. He's very good. I would search through the book web sites like Ama***, etc. for good power erferences if you wish to buy a book. If not, check a good library. A uni library especially, can be a good source for reference books.

Over the web on forums like this it's hard to explain 3-phase in a few paragraphs. Just remember that this subject has been analyzed to the point of exhaustion. No mysteries here. The research started in the late 1800's and wrapped up by the 1920's. Anyway I would advise you to check it out if you need to know about 3 phase.

Claude

Thanks for the input. I had no idea that this subject was this complex. No wonder the average guy doesn't understand what the 3 wires on the street are for. I'll check out the library before I spring a couple of hundred dollars for that textbook.

infomike said:
Thanks for the input. I had no idea that this subject was this complex. No wonder the average guy doesn't understand what the 3 wires on the street are for. I'll check out the library before I spring a couple of hundred dollars for that textbook.

A real can of worms, actually! and the net full of mis-information. This isn't helped by the fact that very different systems are used on either side of the Atlantic. (Those Americans can't get anything right. haha)

Related to Completing the circuit in power lines

What is completing the circuit in power lines?

Completing the circuit in power lines refers to the flow of electricity from the power source to the end user through a continuous path. This allows for the transfer of electrical energy and the functioning of electronic devices.

Why is completing the circuit important in power lines?

Completing the circuit is crucial for the flow of electricity and the proper functioning of electronic devices. Without a complete circuit, the electricity cannot reach its intended destination, resulting in power outages and device malfunction.

How is the circuit completed in power lines?

The circuit is completed in power lines through the use of conductive materials, such as copper wires, that connect the power source to the end user. These materials provide a continuous path for the electricity to flow through.

What happens if there is a break in the circuit in power lines?

If there is a break in the circuit, the flow of electricity is interrupted and devices may not receive the necessary amount of power to function properly. This can lead to power outages, damage to electronic devices, and potential safety hazards.

Are there safety precautions to consider when completing the circuit in power lines?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when completing the circuit in power lines. These include wearing protective gear, using proper tools and equipment, following safety protocols, and working with a trained professional. It is important to take these precautions to prevent electrical accidents and injuries.