Complete set of solutions to the wave equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the wave equation in z,t using separation of variables. Z(z) = acos(kz) + bsin(kz) and T(t) = ccos(ω t) + dsin(ωt) are complete solutions for the z and t parts, respectively. The product ZT = [acos(kz) + bsin(kz)][ccos(ωt) + dsin(ωt)] does not seem to be the most general solution, as it only covers a subset of possible solutions. The most general solution is believed to be F(x, t) = f(x-ct) + g(x+ct), where f and g are arbitrary differentiable functions. This solution,
Thomas Rigby
TL;DR Summary
How to form the most general solution to the wave equation when using separation of variables?
I am solving the wave equation in z,t with separation of variables. As I understand it, Z(z) = acos(kz) + bsin(kz) is a complete solution for the z part. Likewise T(t) = ccos(ω t) + dsin(ωt) forms a complete solution for the t part. So what exactly is ZT = [acos(kz) + bsin(kz)][ccos(ωt) + dsin(ωt)]?
It does not appear to be the most general solution; I can only get a subset of the possible solutions of the form

Qcos(kz)cos(ωt) + Rcos(kz)sin(ωt) + Ssin(kz)cos(ωt)+Tsin(kz)sin(ωt).

I would think this latter would be the most general solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the most general solution to the 1D wave equation is F(x, t) = f(x-ct) + g(x+ct) , where f and g are any arbitrary (differentiable) functions.

That is known as d'Alembert's solution. I asked about separation of variables.

You neglected to mention that the omega on k had to equal the speed.
But any linear combination with various k is also is a solution and that will reproduce d'Alambert's form (via Fourier synthesis) and so both descriptions are complete and consistent..

1. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves, such as sound waves, light waves, and water waves. It is a second-order partial differential equation that relates the rate of change of a wave's amplitude, frequency, and wavelength.

2. What is a complete set of solutions to the wave equation?

A complete set of solutions to the wave equation is a set of functions that satisfy the equation and can be used to describe any possible wave. These solutions are typically in the form of sinusoidal functions and can be combined to create more complex wave patterns.

3. How are complete sets of solutions to the wave equation used in science?

Complete sets of solutions to the wave equation are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and acoustics. They are used to model and predict the behavior of waves in different systems, such as electromagnetic waves in communication systems or seismic waves in earthquake prediction.

4. Are there different types of complete sets of solutions to the wave equation?

Yes, there are different types of complete sets of solutions to the wave equation, depending on the boundary conditions and physical properties of the system being studied. For example, the solutions for a vibrating string will be different from the solutions for an electromagnetic wave in free space.

5. How do scientists determine the appropriate complete set of solutions for a given system?

Scientists use various methods, such as mathematical analysis and experimental data, to determine the appropriate complete set of solutions for a given system. They also take into account the boundary conditions and physical properties of the system to ensure that the solutions accurately describe the behavior of waves in that system.