Complete equation, then balance

In summary, through the process of balancing a single displacement reaction between aluminum and hydrochloric acid, it was discovered that the correct balanced equation is 2Al + 6HCl --> 2AlCl3 + 3H2. The initial attempt was correct, but the formula for aluminum chloride was assumed incorrectly, leading to the incorrect final equation.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

This is a single displacement reaction
aluminum + hydrochloric acid -->

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I know its single displacement, and I know that aluminum can't trade places with chlorine because one is a metal and one is a non-metal, aluminum must trade places with hydrogen, which I know can trade places with a metal.

Al + HCl --> H + AlCl

Since I know that hydrogen is a diatomic element, I must change it to H2

Al + HCl --> H2 + AlCl

Now it's out of balance because there are 2 hydrogens on the right. So I balance it by multiplying the left HCl by 2.

Al + 2HCl --> H2 + AlCl

This leaves Cl out of balance, so I multiply the right one by 2.

Al + 2HCl --> H2 + 2AlCl

This leaves Al out of balance, so I multiply the left one by 2.

2Al + 2HCl --> H2 + 2AlCl

Seems to be balanced now. But when I look up the answer by Googling, I find that I should have ended up with
2Al + 6HCl --> 2AlCl3 + 3H2

Where did I go wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Balancing was correct, but as you assumed wrong formula for aluminum chloride, effort was wasted.

thanks Borek. I knew it was something simple I was missing!

Related to Complete equation, then balance

1. What is a complete equation?

A complete equation is a mathematical expression that shows the relationship between two or more quantities. It consists of numbers, variables, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. Why is balancing an equation important?

Balancing an equation is important because it ensures that the law of conservation of mass is followed. This means that the total amount of matter present before and after a chemical reaction remains the same. Balancing also helps in determining the correct stoichiometric ratio between reactants and products.

3. How do you balance an equation?

To balance an equation, you need to adjust the coefficients (numbers in front of each compound or element) so that the number of each type of atom is the same on both sides of the equation. You can balance equations by using the conservation of mass principle and by applying basic algebraic principles.

4. What are some tips for balancing equations?

Some tips for balancing equations include starting with the most complex molecules, balancing the most common elements first, and checking your work by counting the number of each type of atom on both sides of the equation. It is also helpful to double-check your coefficients and make sure they are in the lowest possible ratio.

5. Are there any exceptions to balancing equations?

Yes, there are some equations that cannot be balanced due to certain physical or chemical constraints. For example, nuclear reactions, which involve changes in the atomic nucleus, cannot be balanced using the same methods as chemical reactions. Additionally, some reactions may involve the production of a gas, which can escape and make it difficult to balance the equation.