Comparison test for basic integral

In summary: No, 1/0 does not mean the integral diverges. The divergent behavior comes from the fact that as x gets large, the denominator of 1/(1+x^2) gets larger and larger while the numerator stays the same.
PCSL
integral 1/(1+x^2)dx from 0 to infinity

I decided to compare that to 1/(1+x) (saying 1/(1+x) > (1/(1+x^2)) but this diverges when the original equation converges. Can someone explain why the integral 1/(1+x) was not a proper choice and what the process would be to find a correct comparison.

Physics news on Phys.org
PCSL said:
integral 1/(1+x^2)dx from 0 to infinity

I decided to compare that to 1/(1+x) (saying 1/(1+x) > (1/(1+x^2)) but this diverges when the original equation converges. Can someone explain why the integral 1/(1+x) was not a proper choice and what the process would be to find a correct comparison.
A better choice is 1/x2, which is larger than 1/(1 + x2) for large x.

1/(1 + x) was not a good choice if you believed that the original integral was convergent (which I think you did).

When you use comparison for series or integrals, if you believe your series or integral is convergent, you want to find a series or integrand that 1) converges, and 2) is larger than the one you have.

Iif you believe your series or integral is divergent, you want to find a series or integrand that 1) diverges, and 2) is smaller than the one you have.

No other combinations are applicable.

Mark44 said:
A better choice is 1/x2, which is larger than 1/(1 + x2) for large x.

1/(1 + x) was not a good choice if you believed that the original integral was convergent (which I think you did).

When you use comparison for series or integrals, if you believe your series or integral is convergent, you want to find a series or integrand that 1) converges, and 2) is larger than the one you have.

Iif you believe your series or integral is divergent, you want to find a series or integrand that 1) diverges, and 2) is smaller than the one you have.

No other combinations are applicable.

can you explain why 1/x^2 converges? The integral would be -1/x and from 0 to infinity that would be -1/(infinity)+1/0 wouldn't it? I know that 1/x^2 converges because I remember hearing that in class but i don't get why. Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it a ton.

Also, any general tips on comparison theorum would be awesome. My first test is in three days (calc II) and that is the only idea I don't fully understand.

PCSL said:
can you explain why 1/x^2 converges? The integral would be -1/x and from 0 to infinity that would be -1/(infinity)+1/0 wouldn't it? I know that 1/x^2 converges because I remember hearing that in class but i don't get why. Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it a ton.
No, you can never substitute infinity in for a number as you have done.

In the comparison I was thinking of, the limits are 1 and infinity. It shouldn't matter that the lower limit is different, since all we're doing is ignoring a small (and finite) part of the aream beneath the graph of y = 1/(1 + x2).

To carry out the integral you asked about, you need to use limits.

[tex]\int_1^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^2} = \lim_{b \to \infty} \left.\frac{-1}{x}\right|_1^b[/tex]
[tex]=\lim_{b \to \infty}-1/b + 1/1 = 1[/tex]
As long as the lower limit of integration is positive,
[tex]\int_a^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^2}[/tex]
converges. That's why I said that 1/x2 was a better choice "for large x."

Mark44 said:
No, you can never substitute infinity in for a number as you have done.

In the comparison I was thinking of, the limits are 1 and infinity. It shouldn't matter that the lower limit is different, since all we're doing is ignoring a small (and finite) part of the aream beneath the graph of y = 1/(1 + x2).

To carry out the integral you asked about, you need to use limits.

[tex]\int_1^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^2} = \lim_{b \to \infty} \left.\frac{-1}{x}\right|_1^b[/tex]
[tex]=\lim_{b \to \infty}-1/b + 1/1 = 1[/tex]
As long as the lower limit of integration is positive,
[tex]\int_a^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^2}[/tex]
converges. That's why I said that 1/x2 was a better choice "for large x."

The limit is from 0 to infinity though, that is why I'm confused.

Is the goal here to evaluate the integral or to just show that it is convergent? If all you need to do is show that the integral converges, then what I said earlier is applicable. It doesn't matter that the lower limit of integration is 1 instead of 0. For your function, the important thing is what happens as x gets large.

Mark44 said:
Is the goal here to evaluate the integral or to just show that it is convergent? If all you need to do is show that the integral converges, then what I said earlier is applicable. It doesn't matter that the lower limit of integration is 1 instead of 0. For your function, the important thing is what happens as x gets large.

Alright. So does 1/0 not mean that the integral diverges? and I am supposed to evaluate the integral which I understand how to do. I really can't see how 1/x^2 from 0 to infinity doesn't diverge. Thanks for bearing with me...

1/0 is meaningless. If all you need to do is evaluate the integral, that's straightforward, but since this is an improper integral (because of the infinite limit of integration), you'll need to use a limit to do that. See post #5 for an example of this technique.

You still seem to be struggling at understanding what I did. The fact that my integral runs from 1 to infinity instead of from 0 to infinity DOESN'T MATTER. As I said before, I am ignoring a small amount of area under the graph of y = 1/(1 + x2), and THAT DOESN'T MATTER, EITHER. The important thing is what happens when x gets very large, AND THAT DOES MATTER.

Mark44 said:
1/0 is meaningless. If all you need to do is evaluate the integral, that's straightforward, but since this is an improper integral (because of the infinite limit of integration), you'll need to use a limit to do that. See post #5 for an example of this technique.

You still seem to be struggling at understanding what I did. The fact that my integral runs from 1 to infinity instead of from 0 to infinity DOESN'T MATTER. As I said before, I am ignoring a small amount of area under the graph of y = 1/(1 + x2), and THAT DOESN'T MATTER, EITHER. The important thing is what happens when x gets very large, AND THAT DOES MATTER.

I'll talk to my teacher tomorrow. You don't have to reply again, I don't want to annoy you with my inability to understand.

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^2} = \lim_{c \to \infty} \left.\frac{-1}{x}\right|_0^c

=\lim_{c \to \infty}-1/c + 1/0 = 0 + 1/0[/tex] ?

What mark44 is trying to say, is that if you need to see if the TOTAL area converges or diverges then substituting 0 for 1 in your original function will create a finite area, then we can use that in the comparison instead of making it more complicated by going from 0 to inf when comparing it to 1/x^2.

But like he said, are you just seeing if the integral converges or do you need to actually evaluate it...?

PCSL said:
I am not evaluating this integral:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^2} = \lim_{c \to \infty} \left.\frac{-1}{x}\right|_0^c

=\lim_{c \to \infty}-1/c + 1/0 = 0 + 1/0[/tex] ?

I am evaluating this integral:

[tex]\int_1^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^2} = \lim_{c \to \infty} \left.\frac{-1}{x}\right|_1^c

=\lim_{c \to \infty}-1/c + 1/1 = 1[/tex]

My teacher never said we could change the limit for the comparison theorem. That is very helpful - thanks for your help.

and romsofia, the actual limit was not my problem, although we were supposed to evaluate it.

Related to Comparison test for basic integral

1. What is the Comparison Test for basic integrals?

The Comparison Test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of an integral by comparing it to a known integral that has already been evaluated. It is based on the fact that if the known integral converges, then the integral being evaluated must also converge.

2. How is the Comparison Test used in evaluating basic integrals?

To use the Comparison Test, you must first find a known integral whose convergence or divergence is known. Then, you compare the integrand of the integral being evaluated to the integrand of the known integral. If the integrand of the known integral is larger than the integrand of the integral being evaluated, and the known integral converges, then the integral being evaluated must also converge. If the integrand of the known integral is smaller than the integrand of the integral being evaluated, and the known integral diverges, then the integral being evaluated must also diverge.

3. What types of functions can the Comparison Test be used for?

The Comparison Test can be used for any continuous, positive, monotonically decreasing function. This includes functions such as polynomials, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions.

4. Can the Comparison Test be used for improper integrals?

Yes, the Comparison Test can be used for improper integrals, as long as the known integral being compared to is also an improper integral. It is important to note that for improper integrals, the Comparison Test can only determine convergence or divergence, but not the exact value of the integral.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when using the Comparison Test for basic integrals?

One limitation of the Comparison Test is that it can only determine convergence or divergence of an integral, but not the exact value. Additionally, the Comparison Test can only be used for integrals with non-negative integrands. If the integrand is negative, the Comparison Test cannot be applied and other methods must be used to evaluate the integral.