Comparing Open Sets in Metric Spaces

In summary: At the risk of repeating sammycap's suggestion: Given a ball of radius ##r## in the metric ##d##, what value ##r'## in the metric ##D## corresponds to it? Figure that out. Then show ##B(x,r)## in ##(M,d)## is identical to ##B(x,r')## in ##(M,D)##.[Edit]Or maybe not. See my next...
bedi

Homework Statement

Let M be a metric space with metric [itex]d[/itex], and let [itex]d_{1}[/itex] be the metric defined below. Show that the two metric spaces [itex](M,d)[/itex], [itex](M,d_{1})[/itex] have the same open sets.

Homework Equations

[itex]d_1:\frac{d(x,y)}{1+d(x,y)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to show that the neighborhoods around their elements are the same.

An open ball in [itex](M,d): B_{r}(x)=\{y \in R: |x-y|<r\}[/itex]
An open ball in [itex](M,d_{1}): B_{r}(x)=\{y \in R: \frac{|x-y|}{1+|x-y|}<r\}=\{y \in R: (|x-y|)(1-r)<r\}[/itex], let [itex]1-r=n[/itex], hence [itex]n(|x-y|)<r[/itex].

I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
All the open sets in a metric space are arbitrary unions of open balls. So, if you can show that every open ball in (M,d) is the same as some open ball in (M,d1), and vice versa, then you're done.

I think what you could do is take some B(x,r) in (M,d) and find the corresponding B(x,r') in (M,d1), such that they have the same elements.

Last edited:
bedi said:

Homework Statement

Let M be a metric space with metric [itex]d[/itex], and let [itex]d_{1}[/itex] be the metric defined below. Show that the two metric spaces [itex](M,d)[/itex], [itex](M,d_{1})[/itex] have the same open sets.

Homework Equations

[itex]d_1:\frac{d(x,y)}{1+d(x,y)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to show that the neighborhoods around their elements are the same.

An open ball in [itex](M,d): B_{r}(x)=\{y \in R: |x-y|<r\}[/itex]
An open ball in [itex](M,d_{1}): B_{r}(x)=\{y \in R: \frac{|x-y|}{1+|x-y|}<r\}=\{y \in R: (|x-y|)(1-r)<r\}[/itex], let [itex]1-r=n[/itex], hence [itex]n(|x-y|)<r[/itex].

I'm stuck.

In a metric space, there are generally no absolute values. You have a set ##M##, which may not be the reals and two metrics on ##M##. One is the metric given by ##d(x,y)## and the other, which I will call ##D## is given by $$
D(x,y) = \frac{d(x,y)}{1+d(x,y)}$$Since metrics obey many of the same properties that the absolute value function does on the reals, it may help your intuition to work the problem for ##M## a subset of the reals, but in general, you don't have ##x,y\in \mathbb R## and ##d(x,y)\ne |x-y|##.

Last edited:
Thank you for clarification, am I on the right way though?

Can you show that the open balls in each of the metrics is also open in the other

metric?

As their metrics differ only by a little number n, we can always find a "subball" which is completely surrounded by those open balls?

That was quite sloppy..

I think it would be helpful if you review what LCKurtz said first, to clear things up.

Like he said, in most spaces your distance is not given by an absolute values.

LCKurtz said:
In a metric space, there are generally no absolute values. You have a set ##M##, which may not be the reals and two metrics on ##M##. One is the metric given by ##d(x,y)## and the other, which I will call ##D## is given by $$
D(x,y) = \frac{d(x,y)}{1+d(x,y)}$$Since metrics obey many of the same properties that the absolute value function does on the reals, it may help your intuition to work the problem for ##M## a subset of the reals, but in general, you don't have ##x,y\in \mathbb R## and ##d(x,y)\ne |x-y|##.

bedi said:
Thank you for clarification, am I on the right way though?

As far as I can tell, I don't think so. Look at Sammycap's suggestion. That leads to an easy solution.

LCKurtz said:
As far as I can tell, I don't think so. Look at Sammycap's suggestion. That leads to an easy solution.

Alright, so let [itex]B_{r}(x)=\{y \in M:d<r\}[/itex] and [itex]B_{r'}(x)=\{y \in M:\frac{d}{1+d}<r\}[/itex] (intuitively [itex]d[/itex] and [itex]1+d[/itex] seem to be positive? Is that correct?)

Then I get the same kind of thing: [itex]B_{r'}(x)=\{y \in M:d\times(1-r')<r'\}[/itex]

Again, multiplying the distance by [itex](1-r')[/itex] doesn't make difference if I choose [itex]r' [/itex]such that [itex]0<r'=r<1[/itex]

Looks like I don't make any progress :(

bedi said:
Alright, so let [itex]B_{r}(x)=\{y \in M:d<r\}[/itex] and [itex]B_{r'}(x)=\{y \in M:\frac{d}{1+d}<r\}[/itex] (intuitively [itex]d[/itex] and [itex]1+d[/itex] seem to be positive? Is that correct?)

Intuitively?? Seems to be positive? Isn't ##d## given to be a metric?

Then I get the same kind of thing: [itex]B_{r'}(x)=\{y \in M:d\times(1-r')<r'\}[/itex]

Again, multiplying the distance by [itex](1-r')[/itex] doesn't make difference if I choose [itex]r' [/itex]such that [itex]0<r'=r<1[/itex]

At the risk of repeating sammycap's suggestion: Given a ball of radius ##r## in the metric ##d##, what value ##r'## in the metric ##D## corresponds to it? Figure that out. Then show ##B(x,r)## in ##(M,d)## is identical to ##B(x,r')## in ##(M,D)##.

[Edit] Or maybe not. See my next post.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:

bedi said:

Perhaps I was a little hasty about sammycap's suggestion making the question real easy. Try showing that if d(x,y) is small so is D(x,y), and conversely, and use that to show the metrics are equivalent.

Last edited:
Thank you, I can do it now.

By the way I actually feel guilty for saying that "intuitive" thing.

bedi said:
Thank you, I can do it now.

By the way I actually feel guilty for saying that "intuitive" thing.

Don't feel bad. We all, myself included, sometimes type things in haste without taking the time to think it through.

Related to Comparing Open Sets in Metric Spaces

1. What is an open set in a metric space?

An open set in a metric space is a subset of the space where every point in the set has a "neighborhood" of other points within a certain distance, also known as an open ball. This means that every point in the set is not on the boundary, or edge, of the set.

2. How do you compare two open sets in a metric space?

To compare two open sets in a metric space, you can look at their size or cardinality, which is the number of elements in the set. You can also compare the distances between points in the sets or the overall shape and structure of the sets.

3. Can open sets in different metric spaces be compared?

Yes, open sets in different metric spaces can be compared as long as the spaces have the same underlying structure and properties. This means that the sets are defined using the same metric or distance function, and the spaces have the same topological properties.

4. What are some common methods for comparing open sets in metric spaces?

Some common methods for comparing open sets in metric spaces include using set operations such as unions, intersections, and complements, as well as comparing the distances between points in the sets using the metric or distance function. Topological properties such as connectedness and compactness can also be used for comparison.

5. Why is comparing open sets in metric spaces important?

Comparing open sets in metric spaces is important because it allows for a deeper understanding of the structure and properties of the space. It can also help in proving theorems and statements about the space, as well as in constructing new sets or spaces. Additionally, comparing open sets can lead to insights and discoveries in various fields of mathematics and science.