Comparing Math Ph.D Programs in Canada and the U.S.

In summary, the conversation discusses the strengths and comparisons of various Canadian universities in terms of pure math programs. UWaterloo is considered a top choice for undergraduate students and has a strong performance in the Putnam scores. However, Toronto also has a strong program and is known for its Fields Institute and thematic programs. The conversation also mentions various industries that these universities are known for, such as technology and finance, and the job opportunities available for students in these fields.
coutances
How do they compare to those in the U.S.?

Pure math in particular.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know U Toronto is strong, McGill as well I believe. I don't think any of them are quite on par with the very top U.S. schools but to my knowledge there are definitely a few strong departments.

dav1d said:
UWaterloo is where you want to be for sure, most people who take pure math at the undergraduate level at UW can make MIT for grad school easily.

So U Waterloo is stronger than U Toronto in your estimation?

dav1d said:
UWaterloo is where you want to be for sure, most people who take pure math at the undergraduate level at UW can make MIT for grad school easily.

I've never heard of that before. In terms of math grad school, I've only seen UToronto considered top 50 in the world consistently.

UWaterloo is excellent for pure math, it's better than UT.

Look at the Putnam scores
2000 Duke MIT Harvard Caltech Toronto
2001 Harvard MIT Duke UC Berkeley Stanford
2002 Harvard Princeton Duke UC Berkeley Stanford
2003 MIT Harvard Duke Caltech Harvey Mudd
2004 MIT Princeton Duke Waterloo Caltech
2005 Harvard Princeton Duke MIT Waterloo
2006 Princeton Harvard MIT Toronto Chicago
2007 Harvard Princeton MIT Stanford Duke
2008 Harvard Princeton MIT Stanford Caltech
2009 MIT Harvard Caltech Stanford Princeton
2010 Caltech MIT Harvard UC Berkeley Waterloo

Waterloo has 3, UT has 2 but the last time they did well was 2006. UW had a strong performance in 2010 and I think they'll do better because they recruited some talented people. But the US is unfair anyway since they draft from IMO. MIT views UW as it's equal in Canada, plenty of MIT researchers are at UW. If you want to go to MIT then definitely go to UW.

dav1d said:
UWaterloo is excellent for pure math, it's better than UT.

Look at the Putnam scores
2000 Duke MIT Harvard Caltech Toronto
2001 Harvard MIT Duke UC Berkeley Stanford
2002 Harvard Princeton Duke UC Berkeley Stanford
2003 MIT Harvard Duke Caltech Harvey Mudd
2004 MIT Princeton Duke Waterloo Caltech
2005 Harvard Princeton Duke MIT Waterloo
2006 Princeton Harvard MIT Toronto Chicago
2007 Harvard Princeton MIT Stanford Duke
2008 Harvard Princeton MIT Stanford Caltech
2009 MIT Harvard Caltech Stanford Princeton
2010 Caltech MIT Harvard UC Berkeley Waterloo

Waterloo has 3, UT has 2 but the last time they did well was 2006. UW had a strong performance in 2010 and I think they'll do better because they recruited some talented people. But the US is unfair anyway since they draft from IMO. MIT views UW as it's equal in Canada, plenty of MIT researchers are at UW. If you want to go to MIT then definitely go to UW.

Of course, Putnam performance isn't the best measure of strength in math (unless you really want to claim Duke has a better math program than UC Berkeley) and especially for PhD programs. It might be a reasonable measure of undergraduate student quality. That said, UW definitely looks like a strong program.

In Toronto, there is Fields Institute associated with UofT. It constantly has thematic programs and seminars. People all over the world come there to talk.
http://www.fields.utoronto.ca/programs/scientific/

For example, thematic program on Operator Algebra is ongoing in Fields.In Fall 2012 it will be Forcing. And in Winter/Spring 2012 it will be Galois Representations.

It also depends in what particular field of pure math your are interested. Toronto is probably the best place for set theoretic topology. The groups by subject are usually across the Universities (York,UofT, Fields) and work together. So it does not really matter which university you will enroll, the most important is the subject and research group that associated with it.

I know that all major math competition in high school is funded by waterloo and they have very good scholarship for math students there
and of course they have always been known for computer math and engineering school

toronto on the other hand, they are generally good on most of the majors
so it won't hurt to do any of them but if you are going back to U,S for jobs i recommend toronto
if you are thinking of getting a job in finance, engineering, computing or any other industries waterloo would be my answer

hamsterpower7 said:
I know that all major math competition in high school is funded by waterloo and they have very good scholarship for math students there
and of course they have always been known for computer math and engineering school

toronto on the other hand, they are generally good on most of the majors
so it won't hurt to do any of them but if you are going back to U,S for jobs i recommend toronto
if you are thinking of getting a job in finance, engineering, computing or any other industries waterloo would be my answer

I know Bill Gates hires the majority of his students from Waterloo out of any university in North America and many of the CS, math and engineering students end up working at Microsoft in software development or at Microsoft Research. Google and RIM (which is doing pretty bad right now) and other technology companies have their main Canadian offices in Waterloo. Most major finance companies are in Toronto.

Related to Comparing Math Ph.D Programs in Canada and the U.S.

1. What are the admission requirements for Math Ph.D programs in Canada?

Admission requirements for Math Ph.D programs in Canada vary by university, but generally include a master's degree in a related field, strong letters of recommendation, a high GPA, and GRE scores. Some universities may also require a statement of purpose and/or a writing sample.

2. How long does it take to complete a Math Ph.D program in Canada?

The average length of a Math Ph.D program in Canada is 4-5 years. However, the exact timeline can vary depending on the student's research topic, progress, and any teaching or other responsibilities they may have.

3. What is the cost of a Math Ph.D program in Canada?

The cost of a Math Ph.D program in Canada depends on the university and whether the student is a domestic or international student. On average, domestic students can expect to pay around $5,000-$10,000 per year, while international students can expect to pay around $20,000-$30,000 per year. However, many universities offer funding opportunities such as teaching or research assistantships that can cover the cost of tuition.

4. What research opportunities are available for Math Ph.D students in Canada?

There are many research opportunities available for Math Ph.D students in Canada, as the country has a strong and diverse mathematical community. Students can collaborate with faculty on research projects, attend conferences and seminars, and even have the opportunity to publish their own research.

5. What job prospects are available for Math Ph.D graduates in Canada?

Math Ph.D graduates in Canada have a variety of job prospects available to them. Many go on to become professors at universities, while others work in research and development for government agencies, private companies, or non-profit organizations. Some also pursue careers in data analysis or consulting.